The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Some indoor seeds started

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Meg on March 11, 2005 02:50 PM
emerging already. Well, the broccoli showed up 4 days after I put the seeds in, and about 6 days later the roma tomato started showing. Now I have a tiny bit of sprouting going on with the Lavender, Hollyhock, tiny tim tomato, and some pepper. I took a few photos..

Broccoli & Roma Tomato
 -

Tiny Tim Tomato
 -

Hollyhock
 -

2 of my 3 bins I started seeds in
 -

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by MissJamie on March 11, 2005 08:18 PM
looks great! where'd you get those plant labels?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Meg on March 11, 2005 08:57 PM
Hi MissJamie [wayey]

I got the labels at my local Southern States. I think there were 10 in the pack, and they were about $1-2.

I love your signature quote!
Meg

-
 -

by MissJamie on March 13, 2005 05:45 AM
oh ok thanks :-) and thanks for the compliment on my signature...i loved it too. i got it off of a gardening newsletter i get :-)

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by sidheblooms on March 14, 2005 05:14 PM
hi meg! soo much fun starting seeds, we can sure squeeze extra life out of our growing season that way hey? i too have a whole bunch of babies beggining, and i love the trip!

i was just wondering is you have some lighting for on top of those seedlings? you sure wouldnt want them to get all scrawny and leggy. this makes for a weak plant. i have a simple plant/aquarium florecent tube above mine, and they grow soo strong and straight. a very very good investment for the indoor grower.

so have fun, and good luck!

oh ya, my lavender came up too...what great seed leaves they have, no? hehehe....and soo fast to sprout!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Meg on March 14, 2005 06:57 PM
That's a cool idea.. get a florescent aquarium light. If I hadn't made him take all that up to the crawl space/attic.. I'd have a tank hood..lol. Right now, it's just the overhead ceiling fan light, that has one florescent mini twist bulb in it. Not very bright. And broccoli is getting quite leggy. Fortunately, it was only 4 little peat pots, and I have plenty left over to try again.

More of my stuff is sprouting.. some peppers, finally, and a hollyhock, and the lady lavender is going crazy!! [flower] [flower]

Meg

-
 -

by Meg on March 21, 2005 02:07 AM
I managed to get a small lamp to put over my babies. I should have probably gotten 2 of them..

-

I also removed the tops from the ones that have a lot of green. I still have 2 domed because they aren't sprouting yet. [Roll Eyes] I am thinking that my angel trumpet & jimsonweed aren't going anywhere.

Meg

-
 -

by noneofyourbusiness on March 22, 2005 06:46 AM
If they get too stretched, replant them deeper. It'll also create more of a root mass.
by Sorellina on March 30, 2005 12:33 AM
How are your tomato babies now, Meg? Are they less leggy now that you've got the light on them? Any secondary leaves yet?

-
by Meg on March 30, 2005 03:13 AM
Actually, some of the roma tomatoes didn't make it.. (I do have more seeds, I only did a couple.. this is my first time.) But the others are looking a bit better.. ever so slightly thicker. I haven't seen the 2nd leaves yet, except on my wonder egg..lol.

The jimsonweed & angel trumpet, it ain't doin a thang.. nearly a month later. [Roll Eyes]

I lost the broccoli that I tried to bury deeper.. I think I handled it too much or something.. & it was tooooo leggy already. I already started more, and so far the 2nd ones seem a bit better, but still leggy. [thinker] Overall, I think the light is helping.

Meg

-
 -

by Bestofour on March 30, 2005 04:33 AM
When are you guys going to start planting those babies? I winter sowed one year and spring and summer planted until I was blue in the face. Luckily I look good in blue. [Wink]

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Meg on March 30, 2005 01:14 PM
Actually, I was thinking if I could get out this week, maybe I'd do it then. We've had cruddy wet/cold weather lately. But today it's supposed to be really nice, around 70F. Unfortunately, I have to make an emergency trip to the dentist for my kiddo today sometime, and I should try to go to work too. *sigh* I want to play in the dirt!!

Meg

-
 -

by Meg on April 07, 2005 05:20 AM
Well, so far, I lost the tomatoes. Will have to start over. The peppers on the other hand, are doing pretty good right now. I want to plant outside sooooooon. Just about can see 2 sets of leaves now. Almost. [Roll Eyes]

Meg

-
 -

by weezie13 on April 11, 2005 04:46 PM
Meg,
How's your seedlings doing??? [critic]
Just curious!!! [lala]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Meg on April 12, 2005 01:03 AM
Let's see.. lost all the tomatoes.. think it was lack of good lighting for several days. Then, I lost the 2nd batch of broccoli, just as I had the first, as they too became very leggy. I am on the 3rd batch now, and I think I am going to do it a wee bit differently this time with those. And most of my peppers are doing ok.. although, it looks as tho I lost all the chile peppers, all the jalapeno, bell, and cayenne look ok so far. And hey, one of my angel trumpets sprouted! Weeee!

So, this weekend, I just started the tomatoes for a 2nd time.. and I may start peppers for a 2nd time as well later this week. I also just redid the wonder egg since it wilted too.

I still didn't get anything in the ground.. weather's still a bit unpredictable. *sigh* 80 one day, 50 the next.. 70 high during the day, 34 low at night.. it's just crazy!

Meg

-
 -

by ChristinaC on April 12, 2005 04:33 AM
Hi Meg
I'm just wondering how you added those pictures to your first post. I'd like to do the same. Thanks a lot!!!
Christina

-
 -
by Meg on April 12, 2005 01:53 PM
Hi Cristina,

I use Photobucket to store my photos, and they have the links already ready for you to just copy & paste here, to show the photos, or a link to them. It's free, and works really well for me. A lot of use it.

Good luck! [flower]
Meg

-
 -

by Bess of the Piedmont on April 13, 2005 08:13 PM
I'm wondering how Sidheblooms' lavenders are coming along. I just started some from seed yesterday, in jiffy pots under fluorescent light over a warming pad.

I really wanted some lavender for these two window boxes on either side of my front steps. I thought it would be great if people could brush against them on their way up or down. I looked all over the area for some plants, but couldn't find any. Although I'm sure I'll start seeing them all over the place in May, I found some seeds for Lavender Lady, which is supposed to be a shorter L. augustifolia and good for containers. Hope they'll sprout.

How long did yours take?

-
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on April 18, 2005 06:44 PM
Update: so far I have 7 sprouts out of 30 planted.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: