The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

'Golden Egg'plant Edibility

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: golden creeping jenny| Next thread: GOLDEN FEATHER PALM »
Back to Thread index
by Kyriellus on February 27, 2005 06:03 AM
First post..and a question..
For a few Years I have been searching for(and FOUND today) a Mini eggplant kit sold at EasterTime. This is the "Golden Egg" variation of Solanum melongena. The few places I could find reference to it were sites selling it... they say it is a Non edible, Non Poisonous eggplant. Yet it matches the Description of an Italian Eggplant almost exactly- White "eggs" turning yellow when they mature. The Italian Eggplant description stated that the fruit were to be eaten BEFORE they turn Yellow.

So.. Is it the same?.. Did I spend money on a cute ornamental instead of a cute EDIBLE ornamental? or are those who sell it covering their Butts by stating it is Non edible?

Any input on my "Golden Eggs" Would be helpful.
THank You.

-Kyr- Whose South facing windows are already full of strange and Unusual Seedlings.
by Cricket on February 27, 2005 11:41 AM
Hi Kyriellus! [wayey]

Welcome to the forum!

I believe Solanum melongena (Easter Egg Plant - Ornamental Golden Eggs) is a non-edible annual. Too bad, it would be great to have a miniture edible eggplant - yumm!
Easter Egg Plant
by Cricket on February 27, 2005 12:01 PM
Another site says S. ovigerum Dun. is the ornamental, while some S. melongena varieties are edible, such as `White Beauty' and `Black Beauty'. It appears the ornamental are 18-20" tall, while the edibles are taller. Very confusing. I'm afraid that doesn't really answer your original question about the 'Golden Egg'.
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will be around soon. Good luck!

University of Florida - Eggplant
by sachis2112 on March 16, 2005 02:51 AM
OK. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The "Wonder Egg" plant, they turn golden/light orangish as they mature. You CAN actually eat this. It's a variety of eggplant. However, people are advised AGAINST eating it because its terribly bitter.

We actually had a pretty lengthy discussion about it over here. Wonder Egg thread

Basically you should prepare like you would an eggplant. There's a link to some eggplant recipies, I think on page 3.

Here's also another great eggplant link I found. Down at the bottom it states specifically that both the white (unripe) and golden (ripe) fruit are edible. Eggplants

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: golden creeping jenny| Next thread: GOLDEN FEATHER PALM »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: