The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

grapes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by jeafl on February 17, 2005 11:17 PM
I have a white grape vine in my yard; it may a Thompson-type although it has seeds. I purchased the vine locally, but I have never seen a catalog or garden guide that says this type of grape can grow here in north Florida.

I planted the vine about 5 years ago and it had grapes these past two years. However, the grapes stay about the size of blueberries and they never really get sweet. I can let them stay on the vine almost until they are ready to ferment and they are still sour.

The vine buds out in March and blossoms before the end of April. But, because the rainy season here starts in June the plant produces as much leaf growth after the flowers have set fruit as it does before the flowers set fruit and growth continues for about a month after the grapes are gone. Leaf production has always been heavy.

I generally use Peter's liquid plant food along with bloodmeal, bonemeal and potash.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can improve the size and quality of the grapes this vine produces?
by obywan59 on February 20, 2005 09:55 AM
You could try removing some of the grape clusters or even some of the fruits within the clusters as this increases the size and quality of the fruits that remain.

Another method that seems more drastic is to girdle the bark of a healthy vine as fruits are setting. This also is supposed to increase berry size, though I've never tried it.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by papito on March 04, 2005 11:31 PM
In addition to what Terry posted, here's some more info on "How to increase the size of your seedless table grapes.

Grape Size

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by A.T.Hagan on March 08, 2005 04:45 PM
If you happen to know the specific variety name of your grape it would be helpful. Sounds like a bunch grape of some sort. There are about half a dozen bunch grape varieties adapted to Florida (North and Central Florida) but relative to muscadines you don't see a lot of them.

If it were me I'd back off on the Peter's. The bloodmeal you are using has a fair amount of nitrogen in it already and a lot of nitrogen contributes to excessive leaf growth. Keep water availability to the plant even. I live on the sand ridge and use mulch with just about everything to keep moisture stress from occurring.

Also, grapes need full sun or as near to it as you can get. The plant needs the sun to photosynthesize the sugar to make the berries sweet.

.....Alan.
by Elfinone on March 08, 2005 05:03 PM
I discovered that if I pinch off the bigger leaves on the vies it helps with the size of the grapes. I discovered this by accident when I was smokin some salmon. I used the grape leaves for under the fish and on top of the fish. Now I just go and pinch them off, just the biggest ones and not so many as to cause the plant to go bare.
[Wink]
Elfinone

Active Garden Forum