The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cat garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Cat digs up my lily bulbs.| Next thread: Cat litter cake »
Back to Thread index
by Fleur-de-ni on April 27, 2004 05:53 PM
I am going to make a garden for my cat. [kitty]

We moved here to a wetland corner of the lake and there are fabulous cranes and pelicans and ducks, galore. Very entertaining for the cats, but watching all the wild nature around them, while they sit on their concrete balcony, has created a new behavior. Whenever I get ready to go out the door, they try to hide in various spots and race to get out, before I shut the door. [tongue]

So I went out and bought some catnip and a 2'x1' plug of grass. Now they hang by 'their' little area and roll around and seem ever so much happier. [flower] [kitty] [kitty] [flower]

I want to make a whole little garden area for them (I have a huge patio/balcony). I plan on using a wood frame and plastic with a layer of pebbles and then a few inches of dirt for the low growers/ground covers and set small pots of the taller things like catnip. [Smile]

Doing a net search, I found many grasses, but not so many herbs, that cats like. Does anybody know of plants/herbs their cats seem to like?

I have read parley, lemon grass, leaf lettice and somone mentioned echinacea!

Any advice on my venture would be appreciated.

[Love]

~de-ni
by Chrissy on May 14, 2004 01:49 PM
Here are some that I know of to be cat attractants:

Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)
Cat Thyme (Teucrium marum)
Silver Vine (Actinidia polygama)
Buckbean (Menyanthes trifoliata)
Cranberry Bush (Viburnum opulus)
Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus)
Baby Blue-eyes (Nemophila menziesii)

-
 -
z5b
by Muskrat on May 19, 2004 09:33 PM
My little Devon kitty just LOVES the big pot of dirt I have left on my balcony...she digs and pulls out roots and stones. I was thinking it would be fun if there were worms in there for her to unearth. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Wink]
She has also shown affection toward my rosemary...and I remember my old kitty liked hanging out by the rosemary too.

Kitties Rule!
[kitty]
~Amie
by Phil and Laura on May 22, 2004 06:55 PM
Our big cat "Morris" a.k.a. Clarence, munched on My rosemary Too! He also was attracted to my SouthernWood! They are outside now...the plants, not the cats!
by sibyl on May 30, 2004 05:49 AM
a cat garden [kitty] ! what a great idea! i have 5 cats, & mostly they lay around in the shade. some catnip will perk em up [thumb]

-
 -
by Tempest on June 23, 2004 10:03 PM
catnip is of course the obvious one. You might give a try to peppermint as well. The cats in my neighborhood seem to love stopping by the peppermint as often as possible, occasionally even nibbling a little at the leaves. I would not have known it was the cats and not a bug if I had not actually caught one of them with his nose in the pot. When he pulled his face out he had a little piece of leaf caught in his scruff..lol(the lemon balm too, but not as often) Peppermint is easy to take care of, takes damage rather well, and makes a surprisingly fine carpet ( or bed depending on the kitty ) for them to roll and play in. Another reason I know cats like peppermint is about 2 years ago I had a cat who took a liking to my husbands favorite chair, as a bathroom. We made the mistake of spraying the chair with a peppermint mist to help deodorize it & the cat could not stay away after that...
by Mel on July 13, 2004 10:48 AM
A cat garden is a great idea. Some herbs are also great for detering pests that will bother cats. I don't know the specific herbs used (pennyroyal?), but its something to look up...

Mel
by Fleur-de-ni on July 13, 2004 08:50 PM
so many great ideas! [clappy] [clappy]

the peppermint and the rosemary, I shall get for sure. But there are many other interesting ideas.
I'll write them all down, when I head out to the garden shop!

I have made their little garden and they love it! They now insist on remaining on the patio in 100 degree heat! And no more racing me to the door to get outside. Once in a while a great idea is born. Best of all, it has saved me feeling guilty, that they must stay in the house. Besides it was great fun! If I can find my little puter camera, I'll take a picture of it!

I have lots of catnip, some small corn which they like, a few grasses like wheat and some st. augustine grass, they love to lay in. I have a small section that is just dirt, which they like.
They even have a little clay saucer as their 'pond' surrounded by corsican mint and irish moss.
They prefer that to their other water dish and have even stopped jumping in the bathtub and waiting for me to turn on the water! yeah!

Thanks!
Deni [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cat digs up my lily bulbs.| Next thread: Cat litter cake »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: