The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

treatd soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Treasure Flower (Gazania spp.)| Next thread: tree »
Back to Thread index
by honeybee50_1955 on June 22, 2006 01:04 AM
I rent the downstairs of an upstairs/downstairs duplex. The bulding has a ben along the front and sides. I have planted Lavender on either side of the stairwell to the main door. My landlord put mulch over the rest of the bed and gave me permission to plant the beds. I plan on doing that this fall starting with bulbs and such. Since he has put the mulch down impromptu weeds and grass had begun to grow. He, in an attemp to maintian a "uniform" look to the beds sprayd them with round up or some chemecal agent to kill the grass and weeds. Since I have been given so plants to start in the beds and I am wondering will the chemical agent prevent or kill the new plants from healthy growth (even though he said he wouldn't spray the plants that I already have planted, it looks as if he may have inadvertently sprayd a couple of my l\Lavendar because it seems to be dying) or does the chemical agent only stay on the mulch? Also, how long do I have to wait before it is safe to plant in the beds so they may have a healthy start? I am not sure if i can just push the mulch away and plant or what I can do if anything... [dunno] [Eek!] [shocked] Any ideas and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-

live for the day for you never know what tomorrow holds.
by johnCT on June 22, 2006 01:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by honeybee50_1955:
Since I have been given so plants to start in the beds and I am wondering will the chemical agent prevent or kill the new plants from healthy growth
Glyphosate(Roundup) has a very short soil residual. Once it dries it is safe to plant and will not harm anything planted subsequently.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on June 25, 2006 01:10 PM
However if he did get it on the Leaves of the growing flowers, it would kill.
Roundup acts thru the growing leaves.......

Dodge [grin]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on June 25, 2006 02:42 PM
A piece of cardboard is my best friend when I am spraying weeds that are in hard to get to areas that are within "wind" distance of my plants. I put the cardboard between where I am spraying and my flowers to make sure that none of the weed killer gets on my flowers. It works really well.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Treasure Flower (Gazania spp.)| Next thread: tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: