The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crocosmia Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kjr on June 21, 2006 08:47 AM
Hi there,
This is my first question on this site. Here goes:
OK, I took a gamble -- and lost. I'm renovating and I read that it's OK to split and transplant crocosmia. I was careful and moved them only a short distance, replanting within minutes and apologizing profusely for the inconvenience. I watered and fed a bit aftwards. However, I must have waited too long in the season, and the transplants now look like dried yellow palm fronds. [Eek!] Sadly, I must have blown it for this year's flowers, but I'm hoping someone will (PLEEEZE) tell me that they'll be back next year. Is there anything I can do to build these magnificant red beauties back up again?

Thanks in advance, kjr

"To love what you do and feel it is worthwhile. . .
What could be more fun?"
by alankhart on June 21, 2006 11:46 AM
You never really know until you try, even though the best time to transplant them is in early spring when they are first coming up or in the fall after they have bloomed. There's really nothing else you can do for them this year, but they should return next year just fine.

-
 -
 -
by kjr on June 21, 2006 12:14 PM
Oh, thanks for the encouraging reply! One more question: Should I leave the stalks alone even though they are yellowing and dried out or can I cut them back now?

What could be more fun?"
by alankhart on June 22, 2006 04:32 AM
Since they are already yellow and dry, go ahead and cut them back. However, next year, leave them up after they bloom (until fall or winter) so they can get energy to bloom the following year.

-
 -
 -
by dodge on June 23, 2006 03:05 PM
kjr

Dont panic.......YOu probably shocked them.
Transplanting and separating, shock some plants badly.. Give it time......

dodge [grin]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by kjr on June 25, 2006 06:03 AM
Thanks for the support. These babies are shocked to the max. The crocosmia I did NOT move are just beginning to blossom splendidly, and the visual contrast is downrght painful. Hopefully, I've learned my lesson, and the others will be forgiving in the long run. kjr

What could be more fun?"
by kjr on July 05, 2006 12:05 PM
[clappy] Thought I'd add a (somewhat) happy update to my sad crocosmia story. I waited and did not cut back the yellow, dried-out, shocked transplants, hoping they might at least grab some nutrients for next year, and apologizing to them every time I walked by. Well, I'm pleased to report that a couple of them are actually squeezing out little pitiful-looking flowers! Hope this will give hope to others. These plants are not only gorgeous, but also fairly forgiving. Hoping they'll all come back next year. Good luck with summer gardens, all! [wavey]

What could be more fun?"
by mark852784 on December 05, 2006 07:04 AM
The best time to move crocosmia is late autumn or early spring. But be very careful that you dont break off the new shoots........
I have around 245 varieties of crocosmia and grow all mine in pots........ wonderful wonderful plants!! Have a look at my photos on my site..
http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/
You will also find some tips too..
Hope its of some help for the future.
Mark

http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/mark852784/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: