The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what's your best meal or fave thing to cook?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by ashley1 on January 26, 2005 11:49 PM
my best meal is prob lasagne- I make it with whole wheat noodles and it taste awesome!

Plants are awesome!!
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 02:44 AM
Wheat noodles sound great. I've never tried them. I'll pick some up at Whole foods next time!

I think my favorite thing to make at the moment is a tortilla soup recipe I got from my friend from Guatemala. Its great for parties as each guest gets a bowl, fills it with chips, then broth, then decorates it with all kinds of condiments. Fun for parties!

I think I'm just obsessed with soup right now. Its chilly...BRRRR. [Wink]

-
by weezie13 on January 27, 2005 06:34 AM
You know girls it's not allowed to post
mouth watering dishes with out their recipes [critic] [grin] so we can make 'em too! [thumb] [grin]

Jiffy will be gettin' after you!!!

Get postin' those!
That tortilla soup sounds different
and I love wheat noodles!!!!
They used to have them around here, and must
be not enough people ate them or something and took them off the shelves.. My mom and f~i~l liked them alot too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 06:53 PM
I will post that soup recipe later...its rather involved though! Definately worth it. [Wink]

-
by weezie13 on January 27, 2005 07:03 PM
quote:
I think I'm just obsessed with soup right now. Its chilly...BRRRR
I know exactly how you feel...
When it rains, I have to make soup...
When it snow's I have to make soup...
When the veggies start coming in, I have to make soup...

But it's wierd, I have one kid that won't eat one of my homemade soups, and another kid that won't eat the other... so, I'm makin' soup alllllll the time....

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tamara on January 27, 2005 07:21 PM
My favorite thing to cook is strawberry jam, it just reminds me of being a little girl at my grandmothers and waiting for the fresh bread to come out of the oven and spreading the hot jam on it. [Cool]

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by 4Ruddy on January 27, 2005 09:01 PM
I think my favorite thing to cook is corned beef & cabbage! I just crave it sometimes..but I think why I like to make it is because I make extra so we can have rueben sandwiches the next day and then I make corned beef hash the next morning! I think I could eat the WHOLE brisket by myself (and have) I always out extra bay leaves in and it smells so good while it is cooking.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Jiffymouse on January 28, 2005 05:16 PM
[tongue] yep, weezie's right, post those recipes, under their own topics, so i can find them. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

the toritilla soup sounds wonderful, one of the local restaurants used to make some and i loved it, but they quit serving it... [tears]

and the strawberry jam sounds great, my family loves that stuff!
by ashley1 on January 31, 2005 10:17 PM
I just brown ground meat, add tomatoe paste, and lots of stewed tomatoes, seasonings, etc, cook down and then layer with Hodson Mill whole wheat lasagne noodles, and cheese, It's awesome!! I don't have a set recipe, I just do it by memory since I've made it so many times,

Plants are awesome!!
by tkhooper on March 18, 2005 01:23 AM
favorite recipe:

NELLIE'S KEY LIME SPONGE CAKE

Key lime pie isn't quite my thing but this, this is wonderful. I am waiting for my key lime juice to arrive so I can make it.

6 Egg yolks
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup key west lime juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 egg whites
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Sponge cake pan 10 inch

Beat egg yolks until thick & lemony yellow. Add water & juice continue beating until very thick. Gradually add in sugar then lemon. Sift flour with salt 3 times. Fold into egg yolk mixture.

Beat egg white until foamy add cream of tartar. Beat until peaks form. Fold into first mixture turning bowl gradually. Bake in sponge cake pan at 325 degrees F about 1 hour. Invert to cool.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2005 11:21 PM
I like to make roast beef in the crock pot. We just throw the roast in, pour in a can of cream of mushroom soup (has to be Campbell's), 1 packet of onion soup mix, a diced onion, 1 can of water (use the cream of mush can), then throw in some small red potatoes and cut up carrots. There you go, an entire meal. I usually cook it on med or med-low for the entire day. It makes it's own gravy too!! Add a salad and there you go!! [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Merme on April 05, 2005 09:43 PM
I make a huge pork chop casserole that is awesome when I have to feed a large crowd.

When you are planning to make it, call ahead to your grocery store and ask them to cut the number of chops you need slightly thinner than usual. They don't mind doing it (for free) if you are buying more than 20 chops.

So....line the bottom of your big turkey roasting pan with pork chops.

Add a layer of peeled and thinly sliced potatoes.

Add a layer of finely chopped onions and sliced mushrooms.

Sprinkle on some cheese.

Add ANOTHER layer of the pork chops.

On top of that second layer, repeat all the previous layers and then finish off the very top layer with more chops.

Cover with foil and bake in a 350 - 375 oven until the middle layer of chops are cooked thoroughly.

This is easy and delicious and as you can imagine, will feed quite a crowd.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Sorellina on April 08, 2005 04:11 AM
Fresh from the garden Minestrone. I totally agree with Weezie. I make soup when it's cold, soup when it's wet AND cold, and soup when the garden is exploding. We STILL have frozen Romano beans in the freezer, LOL.

I just made a double batch of my minestrone a few weeks ago and right before Holy Week, our parish priest got bronchitis. It's our 5 yr old Munchkin's favourite "get better soup" so he suggested we bring some to church for Father. A week after Easter, Munchkin runs into Father after church and says "did the soup help? you seem MUCH better!" LOL.

I'll post it if enough of you are interested.

Ciao,
Julianna

-
by weezie13 on April 08, 2005 04:10 PM
Merme,
Questions?
quote:
Sprinkle on some cheese.

What kind of cheese do you sprinkle???

quote:
When you are planning to make it, call ahead to your grocery store and ask them to cut the number of chops you need slightly thinner than usual.
Does it matter if the pork chop has a bone on it
or no bone??
*just outta curiousity*~ours comes both ways up here.~
****and do you think you could ever do that with
smoked pork chops??? [thinker] [dunno]

Annnnnnnnnnnd, do you think you could copy and paste your recipe here and post it in the Recipe section under the heading Pork Chop Casserole?

That sounds like a good, quick and easy dinner!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 08, 2005 04:19 PM
Julianna,
Isn't neat how you can give someone some soup
and it seems to work like real medicine...
***I think the act of making it is real medicine too, a nice warm, helping feeling comes from it* [dunno]
I send over some soup to my f~i~l who hasn't been feeling well. And it's nice to know, something I like to do, and have to do anyways, (meaning I have to feed my family in some form) that I can then send a wee~bit of it, over to some one, who might not have had a good meal because they weren't feeling well, but yet with the soup or meal I sent over, it's there, just for the warming of it up and eating, no work at it......
**Well, just eating it I should say**

If you have time to post your recipe,
it would be nice to have it there...
There's always so many different ways to make
soup, everyone always puts their own special touch to it!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by 4Ruddy on April 13, 2005 07:23 AM
Merme, you made me hungry for pork chops! Although I am not a cheese eater. I layer my chops and cover them with saurekraut and then cut up potatoes and onions and throw in there...let it simmer most of the day and it just melts in your mouth! YUMMMMMMY!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: