The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help on Gladiolas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by gwp on April 11, 2004 03:55 PM
South Alabama...
Wanting to raise a large area of glads.
Question #1 / Can you leave the bulbs alone year after year without digging up and replacing, and have quality blooms (with proper maintenance of course)

Question#2 / If so, is is possible to plant other plants over the glads after they are spent for the year?

Trying to avoid wasting space most of the year. Thanks.....Gary
by Jiffymouse on April 11, 2004 07:31 PM
[wayey] hi gary [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. you have chosen the number one easiest flower bulb to grow in south alabama! glads will naturalize beautifully, without much care. in fact, the only realy care they need is to be dug up every few years to seperate the clumps.
as for planting things on top of them, i know it works, especially if you find a companion plant to plant at the same time as the bulbs. i have seen them (my grandmother had lots of them in Pensacola) but for the life of me, i can remember what she had on top of them!

i do know they grow well under pine trees, and in the south, that is a very important consideration.

check back often as i know there are others who will have an idea of good companion plants for your gladiolas.
by Bestofour on April 13, 2004 02:24 AM
How do you keep them from falling over? This is one of the things I don't have in my garden but would like to plant.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Jiffymouse on April 13, 2004 02:38 AM
sheri, generally the ones i have planted have had strong enough stems to hold them if they are getting enough light. it is when they are too shaded that they stretch for the light and end up with weak stems.
by Bestofour on April 13, 2004 02:52 AM
by Chrissy on April 13, 2004 04:42 AM
I love to grow glads & have many planted. Being a zone5er, we are usually supposed to dig up our glad bulbs in the fall, but I have never found it neccessary. Mine always come back beautiful as ever year after year. I do plant bulbs on top of mine also. I have tulip & daffodils on the upper layer. The tulips & daffs bloom early spring, when they have died down, the glads come up to show off. I also have kniphofia planted in my glad beds which tends to come up late spring & makes a nice companion to my glads since they both have the tall upright stems. I have never needed to stake mine either, but they are in full sun. Since the glads & kniphofia are such bold & tall plants I like to soften my bed with gypsophila too. It is puffy & airy & tends to camoflauge the long hard stems of the glads & kniphofia & makes it look like a sea of brilliant colors floating in soft clouds. I plant the gypsophila in 2 week intervals to keep a constant bloom from mid May through August.

Happy Gardening [flower] Chrissy

-
 -
z5b

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: