The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Virginia Creeper -vs- Native Grape---Can't decide,can you help??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Virginia Creeper| Next thread: Viridiflora 'Chocolate Soldier' »
Back to Thread index
by Drea on June 21, 2006 04:49 AM
I would like to put some vines in to cover an arbor. Can't find particlar info on either.
Do both of these vines have creeping rhizomes(?) or is there another type of vine that would stay put.
How do I keep them under control??
I don't want vines come up through my patio slabs 5 years from now [shocked] [Wink] [shocked]
BTW the grapes I have right now have foliage right from the ground and up. Do VC have full growth like this, or do their leaves start 1-2' from the ground?
by netwiz on June 21, 2006 06:01 AM
I would not recommend virginia creeper. It is one of the most invasive plants I have on my property and it is VERY hard to contain. It will strangle bushes and trees and I even have it sprouting in the middle of my lawn. It also can cause a very painful rash if you are sensitive to it, which I found out the hard way. I don't know much about other vines but good luck with your search.

Joanne
by Drea on June 21, 2006 07:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up Joanne [shocked] I was seriously considering VC.
My grapes seem to be "wandering",but only a little bit. Maybe they are more easily contained.???I was really wanting a long,full vine to cover the area. (In Zone 3 I seem to be limited) Thanks again.
by joclyn on June 21, 2006 09:54 AM
there are plenty of nice vines available that aren't invasive.

what zone are you in? and what are the sun light conditions that the vine will be in (sunny or shady)?
by Drea on June 21, 2006 12:12 PM
I am in zone 3, but zone 4 is OK for us as long as we mulch well for the winter. My arbor is on the south side of my house, it would get about 3/4 sun each day.
Tell me more about vines that are less invasive [clappy]
by RugbyHukr on June 21, 2006 02:05 PM
wisteria, ramblin' rose, morning glory, porcelain vine, akebia, schizophragma,

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by dodge on June 23, 2006 03:12 PM
Morning glories

They are in so many colors and varietys now a days.

You can pull them off each season.. Not too bad to control.

dodge [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by weezie13 on June 25, 2006 03:19 PM
I agree with everything said about VC..
Although it has beautiful color in the fall time,
that's it's only, and I mean, ONLY saving grace..
I have that stuff too, and like said above by Joanne, it's everywhere...

The Porceline Vine I heard is reallllly invasive, and grows almost a foot a day some say..
*Plus the birds eat the berries, and either drop them or poop them somewhere's and you end up with alot of baby PV's allllllll over the place too..

I personally would take the edible grapes over anything... what a way to have a cover for an arbor... with grapes to eat too...

*(Cucumbers are a great climber...
so are peas *edible and sweet*, annual morning glories, cardinal vine, or purple hyacinth bean are good too.)*

Even Birdhouse Gourds...
I had alot of fun with those...
The vine climbed farrrr *I ended up having to snip them so they'd stop actually* and I got a bunch *5* gourds *they take 120 days to grow a crop.. I have short weather/season here too but was happy to get 5, I still haven't done anything with them, but they were a great new plant to grow for me*

one side note, if I cut or snipped the ends, they were a bit stinky... but if you just want yours to grow, you'd never smell it..
and the white flowers were gorgeous!!!**

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Virginia Creeper| Next thread: Viridiflora 'Chocolate Soldier' »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: