The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

strawberry growth?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Strawberry/Banana Mousse| Next thread: Strawberry Leaves Question? »
Back to Thread index
by blackmagicwoman on January 29, 2005 01:19 AM
Hello --

I have a few strawberry q's. I worked ona farm for about three years in illinois where the main crop was stawberries, so I thought when I started to plant here in New Mexico, that it would be as easy as it was there.

I am not so sure. I ordered 50 dormant plugs of Jewel that arrived a few dasy ago. I planted them immediately in Metro Mix 360 (ph of 6, easy draining soil) in one gallon pots. Luckily it was raining and cloudy. I drenched the pots in water and stuck them in the greenhouse. Today though temps were in the 50's but when I got home from work it was in the 90's in the greenhouse. (I haven't had time to install the exhaust fan). Low temps have been in the forites in the GH. Is this goign to screw up the plants?

Mainly, if temps go up to the 70's in the greenhouse is this goign to cause too rapid growth which will produce small plants (an small berries)? If I had to I could move the plants in and out of the greenhouse. In toher words, what are the ideal temps for the strawberries from now until the end of their production?

I hope this sort of makes sense.
by obywan59 on January 29, 2005 11:27 AM
I don't think one day in the 90's is going to hurt them, but it would probably be best to try to keep the temperature lower.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Strawberry/Banana Mousse| Next thread: Strawberry Leaves Question? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: