The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Morning Glory

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Morning Glory| Next thread: morning glory and moon vine »
Back to Thread index
by langford on June 17, 2006 10:42 AM
Ok..here is a bit of a problem..i was told these things spread at very rapid rates..well how rapid..when will it bloom? I need it to do so now..ughhhhhhh..it's been in the ground for about 4 weeks..nothing magnificant has happened..any suggestions
by Jiffymouse on June 17, 2006 04:06 PM
they never grow as fast when you want them to as they do when you don't [Big Grin] [Big Grin] but, seriously, it all depends on so many factors, it will be a while before you see the results the way you want them. maybe a whole season.
by Amigatec on June 18, 2006 01:29 AM
I have them growing wild in my garden, once started they are hard to get rid of.

I am going to try some full strength Roundup applied with a cotton swab, to the leaves.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by patches1414 on June 18, 2006 10:04 PM
quote:
I have them growing wild in my garden, once started they are hard to get rid of.

I've never had that problem with them, but maybe that's because I'm in zone 5 and they die off in the winter. [dunno] I would be thrilled to keep them going. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by langford on June 19, 2006 05:45 AM
Now these are annuals right? That you have growing wild? Cause I thought they would go away and i would have to replant them every year? I am putting a lattice fence up this year (hopefully) around my whole yard. I found a sight with a really need lattice fence, and thought i'd go with that to provide privacy since they built a school in my back yard..thought i would start with morning glories all the way around..and start perennials, but perennials take awhile to grow to their full potential. any suggestions..maybe some more fast growing vines?
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 06:11 AM
quote:
Now these are annuals right?
They are for me langford! I don't know where you live in Indiana, but I'm thinking they may be for you too. [dunno] I'm near the St. Louis area.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Christina68 on June 19, 2006 10:36 AM
morning glories do wonderful on a fence, and sure are lovley to look at.
I feel they are better left somepleace where you will never plant anything..
but if you ever plan on planting something else in there space, don't try it..
the Morning glories will take over everything, and leaving seeds from last year, they will make a come back for yeras to come.

Christina
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 11:02 AM
Lankford, I love Honeysuckle [Love] because of it's heavenly, sweet fragrance and it grows fast. Trumpet vine is another option and Hummingbirds love it! [Love]

[quote] Morning glories will take over everything, and leaving seeds from last year, they will make a come back for yeras to come[quote]

Christina, I must be doing something wrong [dunno] or some critters are eating my seeds because my pick ones never did come back, [Frown] so I finally planted Clematis in that spot. [Smile]

-
 -
by Karrie on June 19, 2006 11:18 AM
My morning glories in Indiana never did come back year to year. I have some morning glories that have vined beautiful but have not sported a single bloom as of yet. I checked on them today and they have a ton of buds so I am just waiting on the beauty should be any day now. They have been in the ground since early march. I have some Japanese morning glories that have had a few blooms. I planted some bushy type morning glories they have bloomed in the last week or so.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Tamara from Minnesota on June 19, 2006 02:13 PM
I never would have thought MGs would come back, but this year I have tons of volunteer MGs. I hate to pull them because they are a plant not a weed, but yet they aren't close to the trellis and I already planted some there. I am debating just letting the volunteers grow all over as a ground cover. This is zone 4 on the south side of a brick building. I have never seen this happen around here before with such a tender annual. I often have had violas, bachelor buttons, alyssum, Cal. poppies seed themselves.

-
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 02:58 PM
quote:
My morning glories in Indiana never did come back year to year.
What zone in Indiana? [dunno]

-
 -
by buzylady on June 19, 2006 03:08 PM
Last yr. I had a wild MG type leaf plant vining up my archway. Since it looked like a MG and grew faster I let it go. It got very thick but the flowers were not at all like a MG. At the end of summer I had a time pulling the vines down. Now this yr. They are everywhere. Climbing up other plants. Don't know what it is but I wish I didn't keep it last yr.
I found a red MG. Can't wait to see it.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 03:11 PM
quote:
My morning glories in Indiana never did come back year to year.
I'm wondering what zone you were in when you lived in Indiana? [dunno] It appears most of the morning glories are treated as perennials in the warmer climates, but as annuals in the colder climates, although there are some species which will tolerate the cold winter weather. I guess that means I didn't have the right species because mine never did come back. [Frown]

-
 -
by Bestofour on June 19, 2006 03:15 PM
Maybe they don't come back in colder climates. I made the mistake of planting some to climb up a feeder and now I can't get rid of them.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Karrie on June 19, 2006 04:49 PM
I was in west central Indiana never once did I have them come back. I planted them every year too. Once I got the seeds going they were beautiful.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by patches1414 on June 19, 2006 07:11 PM
quote:
Once I got the seeds going they were beautiful.
Yes, Karrie, they are really beautiful once they start blooming. What color did you have? [dunno] I've only had the bright pink ones, but one of my friends always plants blue ones to grow up her trellis. They are very pretty too! [Wink]

-
 -
by langford on June 20, 2006 05:39 AM
I forgot what colors i bought, i thought a purple as well..but mine aren't vining well at all..nor are there any buds as if they are going to flower anytime soon, really irritation me..ya know? i was hoping they would take over..hehe
by melcon6 on June 20, 2006 07:00 AM
I'm in zone 4/5 and mine don't bloom until late summer into fall. We enjoy them at the bus stop every morning, the kids love them! [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Karrie on June 20, 2006 08:40 AM
This year I planted some called flying saucers they are more of a bushing type, and simply beautiful. In Indiana I had pink and purple and also a shade of blue. Lets see if I can post a pic I took of a flying saucer bloom that hubby cut off by accident. It was the first bloom and he brought it in to me after he cut it off so I could see it. It was the first bloom on it.

pic of my JMG
 -

pic of the flying saucer MG

-

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on June 20, 2006 09:15 AM
That flying saucer is really cute. I like it. Hope you get lots of seeds off of it.

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 20, 2006 09:19 AM
Karrie, that is beautiful! [thumb] I especially like the pink canter.

-
 -
by Karrie on June 20, 2006 09:32 AM
I hope the flying saucer seeds well too. Its in a spot that needs tons of ground coverage. My son just threw the packet of seeds and we just raked them around a bit. HE thinks the star in the center is something else.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Tamara from Minnesota on June 20, 2006 01:01 PM
Well let's be clear; they don't come back, they seed themselves. [teacher] They are a tender annual and don't survive through winter but they can seed themselves. But maybe when they do not do it they are not blooming enough or have inhospitable soil for germinating. If you have deep mulch or use preen (I do both of these and still they seeded themselves) they maybe cannot return.

-
by patches1414 on June 20, 2006 03:53 PM
Tamara, I know the pink ones I had were annuals and don't come back or survive the winter, but mine never did seed themselves either. [Frown] I always had to buy new seeds to plant every year. [Frown]

quote:
maybe when they do not do it they are not blooming enough or have inhospitable soil for germinating. If you have deep mulch or use preen (I do both of these and still they seeded themselves) they maybe cannot return.
Well, I don't have the area mulched and I never use preen or anything like that. [Frown] I know it's not the soil because I have ammended the soil in my garden beds and have it tested regularly, so it is almost like "Black Gold"! [thumb] I really think it's some of the critters around here that are the root of the problem. [Mad] Perhaps they are eating the seeds and getting high on them! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by stonethegardener on June 21, 2006 01:54 AM
 -

I can't get rid of these things!
Morning glories are beautiful, they attract humming birds, but be very careful to only plant them somewhere that you'll never want to grow anything else. In the south, they drop thousands of seeds, which all come up (like the seed from last year's tomato drops) there is also perennial varieties of morning glory, and something called bindweed.

-
by Tamara from Minnesota on June 21, 2006 04:45 AM
quote:
[Frown] I know it's not the soil because I have ammended the soil in my garden beds and have it tested regularly, so it is almost like "Black Gold"! [thumb] [/QB]
well that is it. Morning Glories like poor soil to bloom really well. So if they are not vigorously blooming they cannot seed themselves. The ones on the edge of my garden don't grow well at all, but I have a neglected flower bed with tons of growth. Several common annuals are like that.

-
by patches1414 on June 21, 2006 07:19 AM
quote:
Morning Glories like poor soil to bloom really well. So if they are not vigorously blooming they cannot seed themselves.
Well, I never really had any trouble with them blooming from the seeds I planted because the trellis was always covered with flowers and produced seeds, so I guess the problem was with the soil. [dunno]

Geesh, I spend time and money to ammend the soil only to find out what I'm planting there doesn't like good soil. Of course, I guess nothing was wasted because my Clematis seem to love it there. [Love]

-
 -
by Karrie on June 22, 2006 03:48 AM
I went out this morning and the big vine had a beautiful pale blue morning glory on it. My son thanked me for the blue instead of pink. Last year he was embrassed because the morning glories are our flowers we plant together, well he didnt like it when he had to tell his friends those crazy pink things were the ones he helped grow. lol [Big Grin]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 22, 2006 04:25 AM
Well dang it..i'm glad you are all having wonderful luck with these things..i have one vine growing up one side of it, and that is it..it actually looks like a freakin weed..i'm quite disappointed and about ready to go back to the greenhouse and buy the ones that are already huge..i'm so upset..that was to grow around my trellis behind my small watergarden..RRRRR..i can never seem to get what i want to accomplish there..very strange i think
by patches1414 on June 22, 2006 05:00 AM
Lankford, have you ever thought about using Clematis there? [thinker] They make such a beautiful display on a trellis once they get going. Here's a picture of my 'Nelly Moser' Clematis.

-

-
 -
by langford on June 22, 2006 06:24 AM
no i hadn't thought of that..although that doesn't look tall enough for what i'm needing..although maybe it isn't done growing..I really would love to see the morning glory...and i do believe they get taller than the clematis..could be mistaken though..as i looked through every dang website for the fastest and talling annual vine..i could have misread..hehe..beautiful flower though (that you have)
by patches1414 on June 22, 2006 06:44 AM
Langford, the Honeysuckle will get very tall so you might want to think about using something like that on your trellis.

-
 -
by langford on June 22, 2006 07:43 AM
is it too late though to plant them where they would take over? I want it to cover the trellis..it's one of the open doorway ones..i guess is how i would say that..
by patches1414 on June 22, 2006 09:23 AM
It's not to late to plant honeysuckle but I don't know if it will cover the trellis the first year. Honeysuckle is NOT an annual and it will come back every year. [thumb] The scent is heavenly! [angel]

-
 -
by Karrie on June 22, 2006 02:53 PM
I had a spot like that Lang, behind my pond. I put in 3 different clematis, and cannas nothing would grow there. I gave it up and the following summer all three clematis came in full and beautiful. 3 years nothing growing then finally all 3 at once. Go figure. [dunno]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by patches1414 on June 22, 2006 05:26 PM
quote:
I gave it up and the following summer all three clematis came in full and beautiful. 3 years nothing growing then finally all 3 at once. Go figure.
Karrie, I know what you mean and isn't it those nice surprises that make gardening fun? [Wink]

-
 -
by langford on June 23, 2006 03:39 AM
oh geeze...that would be my luck as well..i was thinking of starting a perennial there..but i was hoping this year for the annual to take over until the perennial gets to it's full growth in a couple of years..who knows..maybe i'll give it a shot..thanks for the help...i'll have to post some pics..i still haven't figured out how to do that..nor do i think i want to post pics from this year..as the school is now in my backyard..it surely doesn't make for an interesting background..ugh..
by Karrie on June 23, 2006 04:24 AM
Patches, they are the best, and most of all it was nice to finally receive some kind of a reward for my efforts. No matter what the results of my gardening I always enjoy the work but still its nice to be rewarded with those beautiful blooms.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 24, 2006 03:33 AM
Oh i could imagine it is nice hearing about it..and that it paid off..i enjoy gardening as well..but i get very frustrated when it doesn't grow fast..i want to see results NOW..ya know? hehe..very impatient..
by patches1414 on June 24, 2006 09:02 PM
Langford, if you're going to garden you need to learn to have a little patience. [Wink] Remember if you want to enjoy the fruits of your labor it's best to wait and let it ripen or you'll miss out on the sweetness. [Frown]

-
 -
by bibee on June 25, 2006 02:40 PM
i planted morning glory's in the back yard in my flower bed now i'm going to pull then get rid of them. my mother inlaw said they will tale over. and i don't need that. i have kind's of plants in there. anybody what them let me know. and we will talk.

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 04:09 PM
Here is what the seeds from my pink morning glory did this year. I plucked them and planted them here and to my surprise...

-

Here are the space ship bushing morning glories, I sure hope they spread like wild fire on this hill.
 -

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by patches1414 on June 27, 2006 04:45 PM
quote:
Here is what the seeds from my pink morning glory did this year.
Oh, Karrie, I'm partial to pink flowers, but I love the 'baby blue' morning glory [Love] you got from the seeds of your pink one! [dunno] That is such a pretty flower! What a nice surprise! [Wink]

-
 -
by njoynit on June 28, 2006 01:48 AM
I'm growing mostly Japenese MG this year in hanging pots(got 18 going& 4 are a mix all mostly different,but NOT what were labled due likely to OP)I do have 2 nice spots of purple bindweed& yes!They will grow great as a ground cover.one spot covers ditch area& shades the roots of my blackberrys& another grows on stump of mimosa& looks weird when the butterflys devour its leaves....its then the naked MG.Bindweed is also perieneial.Especially where I'M AT!
I've grown the flying saucers& liked it& hopeing it has re seeded where I grew it last year.I've already pulled a bindweed from there(sneaky devil).

I lived Indpls for 11 years.I did grow MG they useually bloomed end of july.My soil was awful.I gardened with LOTS of effert.A pick axe to break it up....a shovel or a cup to scoop it out...a few handfulls of potting mix....plant whats going in& useually scooped the crap over the good stuff.(I guess I more less dug a pot& filled it!)only MG ever had come back were in a hanging basket and they returned cause was indoors for the winter.

Here's a post a few pages back of my JMG.I also have early call,ensign&star of yelta that I've not bothered to picture.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/15/2620.html?

And I can't leave out cypress vine cause it IS classed as a MG& will spend MORE time this year keeping it out of my burgmansias so they are not contorted.
don't fertilize.
I'm still waiting on my mina labota vine to bloom,but its 2 seeds are takeing their space nicely with my help& guideance.

Hey 'stonethegardner'!I grew up in TN.I like that their tree seedling with MG growing up it.I've done that before on purpose(lol) a mimosia& mulberry that grew together.I also did a string from the ground to the roof on corner of house last yr with noah orange MG (was even hurricane proof)

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by patches1414 on June 28, 2006 07:13 AM
Njoynit, those are really some beautiful Morning Glories [thumb] and I especially like 'Rose'. [Smile] Thanks for sharing them! [muggs]

-
 -
by langford on July 01, 2006 05:55 AM
Well i figured i would share some pictures with you to show you how far my patience has gotten me..hehehe..one is of my front yard..and one of my back..these are from last year, which it looks pretty much the same..if i get some more i'll post those later..enjoy..i know we do!! (oh yeah..we have our first hummingbird..yahoooooooooo)
 -
 -
by patches1414 on July 01, 2006 08:35 PM
Wow, I really like that spot in the back yard! [thumb] Is that in shade? [dunno]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Morning Glory| Next thread: morning glory and moon vine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: