The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

moving tomatoes inside for winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Moving Roses| Next thread: Moving with my jade? »
Back to Thread index
by Carla on October 13, 2004 09:38 AM
Hello. I grew tomatoes in four pots this past summer. Since overnight temperatures began dipping into the 30s a few days ago, I moved the plants inside and set them by my window. The plants still look good and have lots of blossoms and tomatoes. Do these plants stand a chance of making it through the winter (in pots by the window)? Thanks.
by suzydaze on October 14, 2004 11:36 PM
I don't know [dunno] but I had some that looked good too and I dug mine up and move them indoors. I guess we'll just all find out togather. [critic] take some notes along the way and see what come out of it.

I think mine are some tommy toe tomatoes. I loved those on my salads last summer. I sure hope they are the ones I have potted up. [grin]

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Phil and Laura on October 16, 2004 03:55 AM
Just a trick from years ago Ladies, if you have green tomatoes that you knowwill not have time to ripen on the vine, take a garden spade, place it right beside the base of the plant and cut the roots on one side(only) this will speed up ripening greatly
by 4Ruddy on October 16, 2004 09:25 AM
I say...if you have green tomatoes...FRY THEM!!! YUM, Yum! A true Arkansan!!!!!!!! [Wink]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Trudyjean on December 05, 2004 03:20 PM
You can also freeze the sliced green tomatoes or make raspberry jam out of them. I did that this past summer as I had so many tomatoes. Turned out very well. Will have plenty of fried green toms all winter.
by suzydaze on December 05, 2004 04:23 PM
tomatoes inside are not doing too good, not enough sun through my windows for them and one now has a tomatoe worm that I can not catch, but he's leaving his business card.

I didn't have any tomatoes that didn't turn before my vines died. these are tomatoes from seeds that had dropped on the ground from rotten tomatoes. I just couldn't bare to see the frost get them.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by zelinda on December 17, 2004 10:41 AM
I've been bringing my Sweet 100 (cherry tomato) inside on cold nights and taking it back outside for sun in the morning. My husband thinks I'm nuts! This plant is about 14 feet tall and I've wrapped the vines around the cage for support. It hardly has any leaves, but it's still growing and making sweet tomatoes. I pluck a handfull every week. I'm wondering how long it will last.

Zelinda.
by suzydaze on December 17, 2004 02:21 PM
my indoor tomatoes are doing as well as can be for being inside. I'm ready for spring to get here again.

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Trot on December 20, 2004 06:13 AM
My problem with tomatoes is the exact opposite.

It is summer here and the last two weeks the temperature has regularily been between 38C and 43C (38C being 100F).

I have some 60 plants and so far (touch wood) I have not lost any.

I have experimented by having some under shade cloth and the majority in the full sun with no discernible difference in the health of the plants. Not so me though after working in the hot sun.

Picked our first fruit today, actually tasted like tomatoes (not like the supermarket variety).

Cheers,

Trot
by suzydaze on January 06, 2005 07:47 PM
I have a tomatoe worm that I can not catch on mine now and they are still not getting enough sun, I see on the weather that we are due another warm spell, think I'll move them out doors for awhile.

most of my stuff needs more light. I do not get enough light inside in winter. Hubby has promised me a green house for next year, I'm so thrilled. Thinking about a do it your self one out of plastic and PVC

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by weezie13 on January 07, 2005 12:30 AM
Belinda,
Get yourself some type of grow light,
maybe one that exumes heat from it??????
And I've read if your'e lacking light
you can set up tinfoil around the plant or
the area you have your plants and it's supposed
to reflect the light that's coming into your house from your window back on to the back side
of the plant that helps with the light requirements a plant needs...

Worth a try!!
You never know!!!

Weezie

I got a little green house last mother's day, I'll post the link from where we got it...
It's wonderful for it's size and price......
And it was FREE Shipping and Handling too.

Greenhouse at Harbor Freights.... Scroll almost to the bottom to see it..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by suzydaze on January 13, 2005 03:46 PM
thanks Weezie

I have been trying a lamp on them and it's helped alot. I might be okay with that til spring. Sping gets here quick we just don't have alot of winter anymore. I had everything outside last year by middle of march.

Hubby has promised me a green house for next year.

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Sorellina on January 19, 2005 08:30 PM
Last year, I pulled up my plants in October and layed the vines on a table in a south-facing window. As they began to ripe, I'd pick them off and put them in a large bowl until they were ripe enough. By doing this, we had tomatoes from our garden (with excellent flavour) until Christmas..in TORONTO. I also put my potted tomatoes inside the house and let the green ones ripen that way. The days get too short here to overwinter veggies without artificial lighting and some additional heat. Hope this helps.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moving Roses| Next thread: Moving with my jade? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: