The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

does anyone know about Meyers Lemons?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by glam70s on October 20, 2004 07:09 AM
my boyfriend and I just bought meyers lemon tree.. It had no tag or id when we bought it, I wanted it because it's covered in delicious smelling flowers [Smile]

Now I know it's a lemon tree, and from research I know that it's a hybrid.. One site said that you should remove all the fruit green for the first two years to promote best growth.. Is that true? I'd rather the tree not get to 12' tall, as I live in Ontario Canada I can't exactly plant it outside.. Is there any other reason I should not let it ripen its fruit this time? I've been told by someone with experience that it's between 1 and 2 years old..

Thanks for any help [Smile]

Who would have thought it was possible to become addicted to plants?
by Longy on October 20, 2004 11:30 AM
The reason people suggest to remove young fruit in the first couple of years of citrus is to allow the young tree to put its' energy into developing a good strong root system, thus creating a more healthy tree. It's a lot of work for a little tree to produce fruit. Allowing the roots to develop gives the tree a better start.
It's up to you if you do it or not.
by glam70s on October 20, 2004 06:14 PM
Thanks, that what I needed to know [Smile] I will take off the fruit then this time (or at least most of it - I might have to leave one just out of curiosity) I want the little guy to be as healthy as he can.. When we got him we noticed that he was also covered in citricola scales (now gone) but I can't imagine that that helped much either...

Who would have thought it was possible to become addicted to plants?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: