The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

orchid care

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: orchid care| Next thread: Orchid help!! »
Back to Thread index
by RumBum on December 28, 2005 11:30 PM
Hello, I have a question about my phal. It is doing very well. It has bloomed, I cut off the spike, then it bloomed again (yay!) Now I have new leaves growing out of the top of the stalk. They are healthy, happy green leaves but they are just way up there on the stalk (new leaf growth at about 12"). Should I leave them alone or should I cut the stalk below the new leaf growth? [dunno] The blooms have now fallen off, so we are between cycles.
Thank you for all your help!
by GreenLeaf on December 29, 2005 06:29 AM
So you mean orchid leaves are growing from the tip of the stalk...that sounds like a keiki, or a baby plant. That occasionally happens to phal spikes after the flowers drop off. Congrats! When it grows roots longer than your fingers you can cut the baby plant off and plant it as a new phal! Don't cut it before it has good roots/leaves: it'll die. I can't say in how long will the right time come, but keep the mother plant really happy.

Pics of phal keikis:
Phal Keikis Pictures

Search on the web for more info.

~Green Leaf
by RumBum on December 29, 2005 11:42 PM
Wow! I am so excited! [clappy] Actually there is a leaf set on each side of the plant so I guess I have 2 keikis! But there are no roots. After doing some internet research I have decided I think I need to add some moss and some root stimulator. Anyone have suggestions of a type of root stimulator that will be okay for this fragile baby?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: orchid care| Next thread: Orchid help!! »
Back to Thread index