The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pruning 2 ficus trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Myrna on December 15, 2005 06:13 AM
On my job we have 2 ficus trees 1 is a Benjamin and the other is a ficus Alli standard. They were not near any windows with light coming in so I moved them both to the only windows we have ( i do not know which way the face) any way they did not drop any leaves and I can see new bright green leaves growing on both tress now. [clappy] However, they are not full looking should I cut them back or just leave them be for a while. And If I should cut them back how should I do it? [dunno] I have gotten so much good advice from you guys our plants here are looking so much better. [kissies]

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Cricket on December 17, 2005 06:43 PM
Myrna, Ficus trees can be safely pruned back any time. I think the general rule of thumb is to cut back the longest limbs by 1/3 but I've cut back way further than that without ill effects. Prune to your heart's delight and you will end up with a fuller more compact plant. [Wink]
by Cricket on December 17, 2005 06:54 PM
I'm not an expert in the art of pruning, but I know members here who are; if you can post photos of the ficus trees, I bet they will be pleased to give you suggestions.

Also, Myrna, it's too cold for this now, but if you prune again in warmer weather would you please consider me for Alii cuttings? Aliis are difficult to locate locally and I've been wanting one for a long time. They are so beautiful! I'm happy to trade for something you would like (I have a large selection of houseplants) or to send money to cover postage, whichever you prefer. If you are interested, please PM me and we can discuss further what trade might be of interest so I can propagate now in time for spring shipping of rooted plants. [grin]
by Myrna on December 20, 2005 06:29 AM
Sure cricket,
I would love to send you some clippings. I don't know how to PM is that emailing through the site? let me know.
[grin]

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Cricket on December 20, 2005 10:32 AM
Hi Myrna,

I sent you a PM (Private Message).

PM's can be accessed through the Profile/Messages page (under "Start Topic") or by clicking on the PM notification just above the first post on any page.

Cricket
by Myrna on December 21, 2005 03:04 AM
thank you I get it now "PM" private message. There's a clearing through the fog now [perplexed] [Confused]

Myrna R

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: