The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Q's re bamboo

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Q's about Lavender| Next thread: Quaking Aspen Young Tree »
Back to Thread index
by Oui on December 07, 2005 09:28 PM
I have a small Bamboo plant in my house. The kind that is in a small vase with rocks. It is dying one shoot at a time and I am wondering if anybody has experience with this type of plant. How do I get it to stop dying? I would appreciate GOOD site link suggestions if any one knows any. And first hand advice. Sometimes first hand advice is SO much better.

Thanks
by Nava de Roa on December 08, 2005 03:49 AM
If this is the common "Lucky Bamboo" (https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/497/0001/www.proflowers.com/prodimg/PLTbmboovase5_l.jpg), then it should be receiving medium to bright indirect light and should be in about an inch of water. Make sure to change the water each week or so to avoid algae.

You can't really overwater this as far I as know, so it must be a light problem. They'll fry in full sun and can do pretty well in an office with any sort of natural light in my experience.
by Oui on December 08, 2005 07:39 PM
Thank You; I think I have too much water in it and I did not know I was suppose to change the water. It is near a window in my kitchen and I think there might be a winter draft effecting it on top of TOO much water. So I moved it to a warmer place for the winter. Hope that works.
by joclyn on December 09, 2005 12:29 PM
i've got 2 of them. proper water and low light is the key.

i've got one in my bedroom with a northern exposure window - gets late afternoon sun for a couple of hours and only about 1 hour is direct.

the other is in my kitchen which is a western exposure - it doesn't get any direct sunlight because the house next door blocks it.

the one in the kitchen is doing better than the one in the bedroom. probably has something to do with the water being right there and i tend to keep an eye on that one a little better than the other.

as long as there isn't direct sunlight on the water for too long, you shouldn't get any algae. i've never had any in the one in the bedroom and i've had it for 2 years in the same spot.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Q's about Lavender| Next thread: Quaking Aspen Young Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: