The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pickle Pot?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: picking the right orchid| Next thread: Pickle problems »
Back to Thread index
by buzylady on June 06, 2006 03:32 AM
I picked up a pot at wally world. A nice heavy ceramic type. Glazed on the outside. It was called a pickle pot, and has two huge holes in the bottom. I usually add a hand full af gravel in the bottom to keep the soil from coming out with the water, but the holes in this one needed something larger.
What is a pickle pot?

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by Andi on June 06, 2006 05:09 AM
Buzylady, I loved your photos ... but no picture of the pickle pot. When I googled it this is what I gound
Feeding America. Many recipes call for a pickle pot or a firkin (a water-tight barrel) for making pickles. Pictured at left is a ceramic crock, which is still used for ...

digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/html/museum/object_071.html
go to this website ... it shows a picture. Does yours look like it?
by buzylady on June 06, 2006 12:28 PM
Andi I couldn't find the web site you were talking about. What I came up with is a search page. I searched pickle pot and it found pots and pans.
The kids took my batteries for the camera again. I'll get a pic. It is heavy like a crock but not air tight cause of the huge holes in the bottom. [dunno]

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by Andi on June 06, 2006 01:33 PM
this is a pickle pot ... got it now
web page
by buzylady on June 06, 2006 02:05 PM
Oh ok. Yeh I have one of those they are bigger. I got a pic added to my flickr below. Pics never work for me to see on posts.
I quess they called it a pickle pot because it resembles a crock.
Thanks
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by Squirrel on June 06, 2006 04:22 PM
Buzylady, Don`t know what a pickle pot is, but I really enjoyed your pix, especially, your lace cap hydrangea. I have 2 climbing hydrangeas and their flowers are like that. I thought there was something wrong that the flowers weren`t completely opening up or something. [dunno] [nutz] But now I know they are lace capped. Looking at the flower, it makes sense now. I wish mine was blue like yours. Mine are white. Also, I think your dome tulip has a seed pod. Thanks for posting your pix. [clappy] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Andi on June 07, 2006 12:22 AM
BuzyLady, it's a crock used in a fermentation process to perserve (or pickle) vegetables or to home-cure fresh meat (by distributing pickling ingredients throughout the interior of the meat so the curing process began). The method dates back to early history. So ... when you tire of using it as a planter you can preserve your food or make some pickles in your spare time! [Big Grin]
Might want to take real good care of that piece.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: picking the right orchid| Next thread: Pickle problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: