The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wanted: rose for arbour/arch great climber

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by dllfb on June 04, 2006 01:54 AM
I have a arch way in my yard and would like a fast growing, all summer flowering great climber rose for it. Can someone in my area recommend one please? Went to Greenway they gave me one but last year it only grew about 5 feet tall. I'd like it to climb over the top as well....thanks so much for your help.
by tamara on June 04, 2006 07:41 AM
It takes about 4 or 5 years for a rose to climb really tall. Zone 4 here and I had a Don Juan (fence broke and split it in two). It was a large red rose(beautiful) I couldn't find another so this year I have A hardy explorer rose (pink) called William Baffin. Different varieties have different growing habits and lengths. Do you still have your rose? If so feed it a rose fertilizer and wait, it will slowly grow more each year.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Deborah L. on June 05, 2006 08:08 AM
I have a neighbor who has a Cecil Brunner rose that climbs all over her pergola, and is nicely thick too.
The roses are a light, icy pink.

-
 -
by Tamara from Minnesota on June 07, 2006 10:29 AM
You can't beat the Canadian explorer roses. I have John Davis. It does take about 3 years for it to be really big. The nice thing about the Canadian series is that they are easy to care for and very winter hardy. They require no mulching or anything. I wouldn't really think of growing another rose in zone 4 like I am. Here is a picture of mine. It is about 4 years old.
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: