The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

VERY tall schefflera

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by toogreenthumb on November 29, 2005 06:21 AM
My schefflera is about 22 years old and way too tall...over 12 feet. I am told I can air layer and start another shorter plant. I do not want to kill my old friend! Neither do I want to lose most of the leaves to shock (leaves from top to bottom, only lose 2-3 a year).

If I air layer, will I then have 2 stalks like I see in plants at restaurants and doctors offices who look sorely neglected and "chopped off?"

Thanks for any suggestions.
by obywan59 on November 29, 2005 06:29 AM
When mine gets too big, I just cut way back to about a foot above the soil. That stimulates good new growth, especially if you fertilize. The last time I pruned, I had 3 main stalks. I now have 4 main stalks and 4 smaller side branches and it looks great. I set it outside on the west side of my house in the summer. It really likes that. It only gets full sun for about an hour and a half around noon as there is a huge oak tree on that side of my house.

I've never tried air layering, as I get a full sized plant much quicker by using this method.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Myrna on December 01, 2005 12:16 AM
think one of my plants at work may be a schefflera does anyone have a good picture of this. The one at my job is very big and has many branches that are stretching out into one of the cubicules. It also has a braided trunk, and has developed into a tree. As soon as i can get a picture I will post it here. I am afraid to touch it as far as pruning goes because I do not know what I am doing and I do not want to kill it. I am very new to taking care of plants but I am developing a real love for plants, and am willing to learn.

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by tamara on December 01, 2005 11:34 PM
I've cut mine back with no problem, I didn't know it could be done until the kids broke it off while acting around, now it is thicker. I've cut it again.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Myrna on December 02, 2005 03:01 AM
So Should I just cut off the branch that looks the weakest. there is 1 side where the leaves are very droopy. i will be brave and give it a whirl, or should I say chop.

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by TomR on December 10, 2005 08:18 PM
You can cut it back no problem. Then, you can take the cutting, cut that into 3-4 inch sections and root them in water to start new plants! I did that to a 10-15 year old one I have and started 4 new plants.

Happy holidays!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Myrna on December 14, 2005 02:39 AM
Thanks Tom,
I chopped it and I am trying to root them now. we will see how it goes for me.

Myrna R

by TomR on December 17, 2005 07:09 AM
I put the bottom one inch of them in water, when you see little bumps emerg they are the roots starting to form. Once they get about an inch long pot up in a good draining potting soil and keep moist.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Cricket on December 17, 2005 06:14 PM
Whenever I prune my scheff, I just place the cuttings directly into the same soil as the parent plant where they usually root without additional attention.

BTW, Myrna, are you still looking for schleff photos?

Cricket
by Myrna on December 20, 2005 06:34 AM
I have finally taken pictures of the plants at work and at my house so as soon as I get them developed I will try to post them here. I think that I have identified them correctly, but won't know until I can get on here. Since I had cut the tree back I have seen lots of new leaves [clappy] This makes me proud because the plants were dying before I wish had pictures of them a few months back, but they are still not thriving yet just starting to recover. thanks to all the advice

Myrna R

by Cricket on December 20, 2005 10:09 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [thumb] [flower]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: