The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Hybiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: indoor hyacynth and tulip bulbs| Next thread: Indoor jade plants »
Back to Thread index
by BeckyB on February 04, 2006 10:53 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to propagate a Hybiscus? I've tried taking cuttings to root in water, but it takes forever for them to do anything. I tried planting some that had little root "nubbies" but they wouldn't take root in the soil, so I stuck them back in water. The parent plant is one my late grandmother had and it is getting old, but I would really like to get some children out of it, to kinda keep it around.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by afgreyparrot on February 05, 2006 01:51 AM
Jimmy has this stuff inside...he will tell you!
(I'm a dummy..... [Embarrassed] ) [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Cricket on February 05, 2006 02:04 AM
Air layering is the best way to propagate Hibiscus. Select a point on the branch you wish to use and cut a notch 1/3 of the way through the branch. If you have rooting hormone, rub it into the notch (if you don't have rooting hormone don't worry about it as it isn't really necessary). Wrap a handful of damp sphagnum moss (NOT peat moss or Spanish moss) in a ball completely covering and surrounding the wound. The roots will grow into this moist sphagnum moss. Wrap clear plastic wrap completely around the moss, sealing it tightly with tape or rubber bands so the moss cannot dry out. Wait patiently for a month or longer for roots to develop. If there are no visible roots after a month or so, carefully remove the plastic to inspect for new roots and to make sure the moss hasn't dried out. If necessary, re-dampen and rewrap the moss around the branch as before. When there is a healthy batch of roots growing into the moss, completely sever the branch just below the roots and pot into a small pot. It can take another couple months for a strong, healthy root system to form during which time be cautious not to overwater. Don't worry if you lose a few leaves during the process.
by BeckyB on February 05, 2006 05:29 AM
Cricket, Thank you so much for the tip! I will definitely give it a try. [thumb]
Should I remove a couple leaves close to the wound and wrap them as well?
Do you have any tips on what to do with my clippings that have little root nubbies on them?

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: indoor hyacynth and tulip bulbs| Next thread: Indoor jade plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: