The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Impatients Problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Impatiens and azalea| Next thread: improving potato yield »
Back to Thread index
by mommaof9 on May 31, 2006 02:55 AM
Hi everyone... I came across this site when I was searching for an answer for my flower problem! I am in central Texas and we are supposed to be able to grow Impatients with ease! Mine are wilting and I do not know what to do? Cut off the wilting ones? HELP! This seems to be a GREAT site I am looking forward to learning alot!
by alankhart on May 31, 2006 04:55 AM
Since impatiens prefer shade, are they getting too much sun? Is the soil too dry or too wet? Often plants will wilt in the heat of the day as a way of conserving water and recover in the evening when it cools down. It doesn't necessarily mean they need more water, however. We've had a few days of 90 degree heat and many of my plants wilt during the day but the soil is moist...they look fine by the next morning.

-
 -
 -
by lilylu on May 31, 2006 06:38 AM
I suspect they are getting too much sun!...yep, they like shade best! [thumb]

"Seeing life through Rose-colored glasses!"  -
by Key8 on May 31, 2006 10:12 AM
I live in So Fla. Here we treat Impatients as annuals-they just don't survive the hot summers no mattter how much shade or water they get. I plant them the end of October, enjoy them all "winter" and watch them die off by June.
by patches1414 on May 31, 2006 11:28 AM
I'm in zone 5 and I plant my Impatiens where they get filtered sun with full shade in the heat of day. [Wink] I learned from experience many years ago that they aren't a sun loving plant! [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by mommaof9 on May 31, 2006 11:32 AM
Should I cut off all the ones that have been wilted for over 24hours or do you think that they will perk back up? Thank you so much for ALL your help! I do think that I had them to much in the sun.
by eClaire on May 31, 2006 01:04 PM
mine usually perk back up if i water them in well.

Claire
by mommaof9 on May 31, 2006 11:39 PM
I did fertilize them! I did not know they did not like it until I read some comments on this site. Is there anything I can do? I think maybe the sun and the fertilizer is the cause of the wilting. They are not ALL wilted but several plants in both pots look really poorly! boo hoo! =(
by tamara on June 01, 2006 12:04 AM
Impatients are finicky, a little too much sun or even a little too much wind can make them wilt. I have given up planting them. Too much water or not enough could be the culprit also.

I guess that's why they are called 'Impatients'~a person gets impatient just trying to deal with them [Big Grin]

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by eClaire on June 01, 2006 02:09 AM
Don't give up! replant them in shade, water them well for a few days, and cross your fingers. Don't trim anything yet. Mine have always perked back up, and waiting a few days to trim off dead plants won't hurt.

Claire
by Stuspot on June 01, 2006 05:21 AM
I agree, don't trim anything. I've had impatients that looked almost dead, but with water and shade, they should come right back.

I don't live anywhere near as hot as you, and I've had impatients planted where I needed to water them daily or more.
by tkhooper on June 01, 2006 11:36 AM
Mine did great in Washington State, but here in Virginia they do wilt the middle of every day. I don't think I will plant them again. They are pretty but they look awful at mid-day everyday.

-
 -
by mommaof9 on June 02, 2006 01:29 AM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You are ALL wonderful! Thank you for all the help with my impatients! Now if I could get some help with my impatients with my kids! hee hee!
by dodge on June 02, 2006 12:48 PM
Everyone,

Any one out there have seeds for double Impatients......I cant find any doubles.

dodge [nutz]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Impatiens and azalea| Next thread: improving potato yield »
Back to Thread index