The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gerber Daisey

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: gerber| Next thread: gerber daiseys »
Back to Thread index
by lilylu on May 25, 2006 07:22 AM
Hello, all you wonderful garden experts out there..I think I know the answer to this questions, but what do you think?...I bought a Gerber Daisey plant in a pot at Home Depot a month back..it's just beautiful, but the blooms are limp, and foilage seems limp too..(yes, I've been watering it...)
I cut off the droopy flowers....will it bloom again if I plant it in the ground.... [grin]

"Seeing life through Rose-colored glasses!"  -
by Jiffymouse on May 25, 2006 09:41 AM
yes. more on this later.
by alankhart on May 25, 2006 10:27 AM
Gerber Daisies do very well in the ground. They prefer well drained but consisitently moist soil in full sun. Wet soil will cause them to rot. They will usually bloom on and off all season, especially if deadheaded. They are reportedly only hardy to zone 8, but mine have returned for two years straight. (I'm in zone 6b/7a)

-
 -
 -
by lilylu on May 25, 2006 10:31 AM
alankhart,
Thankyou for the info...I'm gonna get those Daisies in the ground and hope for the best...I'm in zone 5..... [angel]

jiffymouse...thanks for the partial

by sad1199 on May 25, 2006 10:45 AM
I love daisies! I never keep them in a pot. I'm in zone 10 or 11 (I couldn't quite figure out the map!). Anyway, I do know that they love full sun and if you trim them regularly they are very happy. I have one plant that blooms year round! Good luck!

Have a happy, loved filled day!!
by Jiffymouse on May 25, 2006 03:05 PM
lilylu, if you put them up against a structure, like your house, you can create a "micro zone" that will be warmer, and then if you mulch them, or cover them with plastic and straw, you can probably overwinter them there.

i was going to say (but was at work and not supposed to be posting) i had mine in a bed that was north east facing, and they bloomed great. i didn't do anything to them and they came back year after year. of course, i am in a warmer spot than you, but...

with a carefully planned (or happily accidental) micro climate, you can gain 2 or 3 zones sometimes.
by Jiffymouse on May 25, 2006 03:07 PM
by the way, alan is the best and always is on the money!
by lilylu on May 26, 2006 12:07 AM
Can't wait to put them in the ground today, thanks Jiffymouse and sad 1199 [kissies]

by alankhart on May 26, 2006 04:51 AM
Careful or you'll give me a big head! [Wink]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gerber| Next thread: gerber daiseys »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: