The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Succulent

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: succulant-ghost plant| Next thread: Succulent Pics »
Back to Thread index
by regalhank on November 04, 2005 01:25 AM
I have a new succulent--tall with fleshy leaves coming off stalk--upon transplanting it to new decorative container, it actually lost its middle leaves so now it looks ridiculous--leaves on bottom, then bare stalk, then leaves on top. Could I lop off the top, put end in rooting hormone and replant with any success? Should I root it in vermiculite first?
by cinta on November 04, 2005 03:12 AM
Most succulents will root without rooting homone. Do you know the name of your plant?

I usually lay the cutting on top of the soil for about a week. It will get brown at the end. Then put it in the soil and use a squirt bottle to dampen the soil. Mist the plant every other day until it roots. You do not want it in soil that is too wet or your cutting will rot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by mrs. rhonda grant on November 04, 2005 09:39 AM
i think you could actualy get 2 new plants. most will grow for just a leaf cutting. i had a kalanchoe in my succulant garden that accidentily got trampled. now i have 8 baby plants, i just cut the plant appart and stuck them in the dirt. its been about 2 weeks now and they all have roots! good luck.
rhonda

GOD, please bless our plants and flowers. Let our new cuttings thrive. In JESUS name, AMEN.

-

by margaret e. pell on November 04, 2005 07:57 PM
And the bottom part will send out new shoot(s), too! You could wind up with a whole bunch of them. Do you know a name for it?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by regalhank on November 05, 2005 01:10 AM
Well, thank you all. I do not have a name--wish the store had supplied one. It kind of looks like a jade plant but with pointier tips on the leaves. I think I will lop off the top and trim the bare stalk and see what top and bottom do. I even bought cactus and succulent soil for it. I could probably cram both parts into the same planter.
by weezie13 on November 08, 2005 08:52 PM
Regalhank,
Hello~~~~> [wavey]

By any chance do you have a picture of your
plant??
There's several members' that love a good mystery and we have a Mystery Section here, that we wouldn't mind takin' a peak at it, if you had one....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: succulant-ghost plant| Next thread: Succulent Pics »
Back to Thread index