The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bulb Question| Next thread: Bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by rabbit lady on May 20, 2006 11:26 AM
Now that most of my bulbs are done flowering..tulips and dafodils...is there anything I can do with those long ugly stems and leaves that seem to just stay there forever?! Can I cut them down or what? I have heard that the bulb needs them to stay on...it feeds it or something. But isn't there something I can do so they don't look so ugly until they die away?
by flwrgrdnmom on May 20, 2006 11:51 AM
You have to leave them on in order for them to get the strength/energy/whatever needed to bloom next year. What I do is plant lots of bulbs together that bloom at different times, that way as some are dying back and looking ugly, new ones are coming up to kind of cover them. Works great if you place them front-to-back, with the first blooming in the back.
by cinta on May 20, 2006 11:57 AM
I have seen people fold them down and put a rubberband on them. But if you cut them you will not see flowers next Spring.

I plant my gardens so that you cannot see them. I have daylilies hiding the leaves and the Iris are blooming in front of some. Planning succession plants will hide the leaves and your garden will always be in motion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by dodge on May 20, 2006 12:35 PM
cinta

Good idea, put something in front of them.. We all go thru the agony of the before and after.

That is correct they get their goodies from the sun an must stay till they are brown and goners.

;o)

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bulb Question| Next thread: Bulbs »
Back to Thread index