The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mouldy Pot??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mothers tongue blooms?| Next thread: Mouldy Soil »
Back to Thread index
by FlowerGirl20 on February 03, 2006 01:52 PM
I watered my "money tree plant" a few days ago and today i noticed that the small clay pot it was in had mould on it! it just looked like a bunch of mini cotton balls were stuck to it, so i sprayed it with some dish detergent/ water solution that i made..but how do i prevent it and why did this happen?
by margaret e. pell on February 04, 2006 06:41 AM
If it's really mold, less water and better air circulation will help. However, check carefully, especially if it's white. When you touch it, is it dry and powdery? If so, it's minerals/mineral salts from your water and/or fertilizer. If you know you have hard water or are using fertilizer, stop, water with distilled water until it drains through a few times, then continue watering as normal (don't increase the moisture to the plant) with distilled water for about 2 weeks. See if you still have a problem. If you don't, it's minerals. How's the plant doing? If you were using fertilizer, dilute it to 1/2 or 1/4 strength or less and use it less often. If you weren't and it's your water (I have this problem, my well water is VERY hard), listen to the plant. If it's happy, flush with distilled water every 2nd or 3rd watering. If the leaves turn brown and brittle from the ends, you're going to have to use distilled water all the time. Hopefully it's really mold and watering it less often and getting the air to circulate so the pot can dry out a bit is all you have to do!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mothers tongue blooms?| Next thread: Mouldy Soil »
Back to Thread index