The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stag Horn Fern

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by mountainmama515 on October 29, 2005 08:21 AM
I inherited a beautiful stag horn fern. It's planted in a hollowed piece of stump and has been outside all summer. Now that cold weather is here, do I have to bring it in? I know nothing about them. I would appreciate any info I can get.

Women who don't take chances, rarely make history!
by wayner2000 on October 29, 2005 06:35 PM
Hi mountainmama, your stag horn fern likes warmth and humidity. I have one as well and mine did wonderfull outside all summer. We are now on frost warnings so it's inside. Last winter I would keep it in good light and give it a good soaking in the bathtub once a week. Also I misted it's leaves every other day. I hope this helps...........

-
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..........
by Sorathien on October 30, 2005 08:09 AM
yes! bring it inside!

my mom has one. she got a wire basket and lined it with moss and planted the fern in there. in summer, she hangs it outside from the branches of out maple tree. when it gets cold, she brings it inside and hangs it underneath the skylight in the kitchen. its very happy so far, and even has babies now.

my mom also soaks it in the tub when it needs watered. i don't know if it needs fertilizer though. the plastic bag is under it so the water doesnt leak all over the place.

here are some pictures of it i just took

-

-
by Cricket on October 30, 2005 08:30 AM
Ooooh, that's lovely! So is the blooming orchid! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: