The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seasonal Plants?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Season to Season| Next thread: Second Harvest? »
Back to Thread index
by IcyGarden on May 17, 2006 12:20 PM
Can anyone tell me any seasonal plants, that can rest and survive down to 10 degrees?
by weezie13 on May 17, 2006 12:43 PM
Do you mean for your growing zone?

I live in growing zone 5, so you must be close
to that zone, or 6a or b maybe..

Hosta's are good, bleeding hearts, creeping phlox, perennial phlox, hollyhocks, delphiniums,
ohhhhhhhh there's alot...

Are you lookin' for something specific?
Like a ground cover, or for shadey or for
sunny, or wet/dry???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by IcyGarden on May 17, 2006 01:13 PM
Yep, I live in 6a. I have a small garden in the frontyard with good soil, and a larger on in th back.

I actualy do have 2 creeping phlox plants and and some other plant, but thats it. We got tired of replanting each year so im just looking for random suggestions.

The bleed hearts look good, i might get those.

thanks for your help, i think i post a picture of my currest garden.
by IcyGarden on May 17, 2006 01:21 PM
Here a picture of a section of my front garden.

http://geocities.com/hotoilonice/gardenbush.htm
by Sir Ts Princess on May 17, 2006 02:00 PM
Well, it looks as though you have Azaleas, am I correct?

I live in zone 8-9 (border) so, I'm not real sure if I could offer very good suggestions for you. But, hmm...Azaleas should grow for you as they are an evergreen and dormant in the winter. I'm not sure about Bridal Wreath or Gardenia. Perhaps something that reseeds itself, like maybe Elephant Ears. Ours always come back no matter how cold it gets here, as do the lillies my MIL planted several years ago. You should be able to grow Bottle Brush as well, which is a great plant if you desire to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. You only have to plant it once as it is either a bush or a tree...ours is so big, I think it's a tree...but someone said it's actually a bush.

-
by loz on May 17, 2006 03:33 PM
I'm in zone 6....let's see...I have Sedum "Autumn Joy", Tickseed "Nana", Veronica, Ballon Flowers, Bleeding Heart, Hostas, I'll have to think about my others I have....

I use mostly a lot of annuals...

One good way to figure things out is to go to your local nursery....most of the plants there are for your zone, and usually the tag will say what zones it will grow in. My very first year of gardening that's basically what I did....Went to Lowes and figured out what I liked and checked the zones on the plant and bought them.... [Big Grin]
by tkhooper on May 17, 2006 11:43 PM
Here are some possiblities:

Acorus gramineus 'Ogon' Ogon Sweetflag
Giant Hyssop
Anemone, Wood
Wild Ginger
Aster
Brunnera
Beautyberry
Common Camas
Bellflower
Plumbago
Clematis
Chinese Dogwood
Buttercup Winter Hazel
Smoke Tree
Montbretia
Cyclamen, Hardy
Redbud Hazel
Barrenwort
Snakeroot, Chocolate White
Spurge
Fothergilla
Snowdrops
Japanese Forest Grass
Witch hazel
Blue Oat Grass
Lenten Rose
Shasta Daisy
Catmint
Mondo Grass, Black
Variegated False Holly
Russian Sage
Mountain Fleeceflower
White Dragon
Jerusalem Sage
Lily-of-the-Valley-Shrub
Solomon's Seal, Variegated
Indian Physic
Meadow Sage
Saxifrage, Mossy
Hydrangea, Japanese Climbing
Water Figwort, Variegated
False Solomon's Seal
Spiketail
Orangebark Stewartia
Japanese Stewartia
Meadow Rue
Trillium, Purple
Huckleberry, Evergreen
Speedwell
Crimson Glory Vine

This list isn't comprehensive by any means. And you can whittle it down depending on whether your garden is full sun partial shade or full shade; whether you have boggy or dry soil; whether you want to water your plants a lot or need plants that are drought tolerent; What heights or colors of plants that you like or even based on the shape of the flowers you like. I have a fondness for anything shaped like a rose so I have roses, peonies, double bloom impatience, portulaca and other flowers that have that particular shape to their blooms. But for contrast I also have crocus, daffodils and gladiolus.

One thing to remember about most perennials is that they don't bloom for very long so you need to choose different types of plants so at least one is blooming all through the growing season.

For instance snowdrops bloom very very early followed by crosus and daffodils, followed by snapdragons, followed by columbine, followed by roses in my zone 7. Most of these will grow in your zone too.

-
 -
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 03:57 AM
for sunny conditions: iris, lily, coneflower, daisy, yucca, clematis, butterfly bush, lilac, lavendar, forsythia, crocus, daffodils, tulip, roses, some ferns, primrose

for shady conditions: hosta, some clematis, hardy geranium (there are actually more than a few varieties), some ferns

groundcovers: vinca (best in sun)

i'm in 6b - all of these do well for me and should be okay for you, too.

edit: all of the above will return the following year and none need to be taken up before winter hits.

gladiola (sunny spot) are beautiful - they're supposed to be taken up. i don't tho and they're doing just fine. i do put a good, thick layer of leaves down in the fall tho.

black eyed susan (sunny) will self-seed and return the following year.

if you plant any mint (sunny) do so in pots - it's invasive and can take over an area very quickly (and it's hard to get rid of).

edit again: lamium is a good ground cover - i've got pink chablis. pretty pink flowers with beautiful green leaves tinged with silver.
by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 04:23 PM
Ohh, the lamium sound absolutely beautiful! Where did you get it? I don't know if it would work for me, but it sounds prettier than my white Aysallum. Which is also another ground cover, but don't know what zones it grows well in, just know it is supposed to grow here in NW Florida.

-
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 05:54 PM
it's also called dead nettle or spotted nettle

-

this pic doesn't do it justice at all (too dark and it's fuzzy)!! it's extremely striking. so much so that i got it even tho i do not like variegated leaves at all!! [Smile]

this pic is clearer. still this is a different variety (white nancy) and it's leaves aren't as striking as the pink chablis.

-

check your local stores - both the big chains and the little 'mom&pop' places. if they don't have it, ask if they can order it in for you.

it should be easy to find...you're in a zone where it's hardy. in fact, it'll be an evergreen in zones 9b-10. if that's where you live you'll get to enjoy it all year round!
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 12:20 AM
I have the non-varigated type here in Virginia and it is a weed. I've heard tell that some of it doesn't smell very good. Your varigated seems to have a nicer flower. How is the smell?

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 19, 2006 12:27 AM
No, I'm actually in zone 8. Florida is one of those states with multiple zones. Orange trees grow in zone 9, they don't grow here. Our winters can get pretty cold in the northern part of Florida. We don't usually get snow, but we have been known to drop into the teens, have heavy frosts, bitter winds...you get the idea. However, contrary to popular belief, sometimes it DOES snow in FL!! The last time it did that I can remember was 1993, we had snow on the ground for 3 days.
But, it's still worth a shot to try getting the plant, nice plant!! [Smile]

-
by joclyn on May 19, 2006 08:04 AM
the lamium should be just fine there, sir t! won't be an evergreen tho.

tk, i just planted it so i don't know what the flowers smell like yet...i'll let you know when it does bloom!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Season to Season| Next thread: Second Harvest? »
Back to Thread index