The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fly trap

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Flutterbys| Next thread: fly traps traps are all shut »
Back to Thread index
by tobydude7 on October 21, 2005 02:58 AM
I got a venus fly trap in the suumer. It was doing quite well for about a couple of months. It ate about 6 flies in about a week. I then decided to repot it on a larger pot so it would spread. I used a mixture of perlite and sphagnum moss, putting the plant and original soil in the middle of the mixture. After a week or two, I have started noticing the leaves developed brown spots and dried out. Sometimes the spots would start on the feeding heads too. The plant had new leaves with baby heads coming out, but by now (October) none of the heads have grown to full size and all the old leaves and heads have dried out. Is the plant dying or is this a normal process? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
by weezie13 on October 23, 2005 03:16 AM
Tobydude7,
Hi and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!!

I just wanted to let you know, I was going to
move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION,
I think you'll get a few more response's in
to there...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on October 23, 2005 03:23 AM
Oooops, forgot to add, here's some growing info
from some of Bill's main pages..
The Venus Fly trap/Dionaea muscipula

Also if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in FLYTRAP,
I believe you'll also get alot of other posts
with questions and answers on that plant as well... [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Will Creed on October 23, 2005 05:46 AM
Hi Toby,

The only obvious mistake was assuming that a larger pot would cause it to spread. In fact, the opposite is generally true. Perlite is a source of fluoride and not a good additive to the potting mix. Usually straight sphagnum moss is recommended for Flytraps.

It is hard to say what the long term damage may be. However Flytraps tend not to live very long anyway outside of a terrarium.
by tobydude7 on October 26, 2005 09:09 AM
Will,

I'm a bit confused. The info on this website on the care and cultivation of fly traps recommended 70% sphagnum moss and 30% perlite. Could the brown spots be due to drying? Could this be a fungus problem? Thanks.
by Will Creed on October 26, 2005 10:54 AM
Yes, there are multiple causes of the brown spots, but it seems that the problem began after you repotted, so that is the place to look first.

I am not responsible for the information provided elsewhere on this site. I can only tell you what I know.
by margaret e. pell on October 28, 2005 04:24 AM
See www.californiacarnivors.com
I've had one for several years growing per his recomendation of 50/50 peat and sand. They are bog plants and must be grown wet, mine sits in a bowl of distilled water varying from ~1/4 to 1 1/4 inch below the soil line. They're native to Carolina, like a lot of sun and want a cool winter rest. They're easier than their reputation, but do require attention.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Jiffymouse on October 28, 2005 10:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Will Creed:
Yes, there are multiple causes of the brown spots, but it seems that the problem began after you repotted, so that is the place to look first.

I am not responsible for the information provided elsewhere on this site. I can only tell you what I know.

will, we know you aren't responsible for information elsewhere on this site, or in anyone else's posts for that matter. neither are the other 7000+ members responsible for the information in your posts. however, this is a forum, provided free to all the members, some of whom will have a different opinion that you or myself for that matter. it has been the policy of the administration to allow and even encourage the different opinions of the members, as long as that exchange is courteous and friendly. it is in the exchange of information that allows one to learn. in this spirit, i have to say, while we all appreciate the times you have shared your experience and knowlege, it is requested that you display more respect for the host of this forum.

tobydude, i will post additional information on your fly trap in my next post.
by Jiffymouse on October 28, 2005 10:39 AM
toby, everything i have read (from reference books and other sites as well as here) says that you can use anywhere from straight moss to up to 30% sand or perlite. and the information i read on perlite says that it is "expanded silica granules" or, translated, what i would call "popcorned" sand. no flouride.

further, all plants have a maximum size, and if you want a larger plant than the genetic max (which i don't know what is for fly traps) you usually have to have multiple plants in one container.

i hope this helps!
by margaret e. pell on October 29, 2005 04:55 AM
Sorry, sorry, sorry! This is the site I tried to direct you to. I forgot the 'e'. My plants don't mind that I can't spell, but it does get me in trouble with literal minded things like computers!

www.californiacarnivores.com

-

by weezie13 on October 29, 2005 05:09 AM
I wonder if those plants eat FRUIT FLIES????

If they do, I gotta get me some [grin] !!!!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Will Creed on October 29, 2005 05:45 AM
Jiffy,

I am a bit surprised by your reaction and your decision to discuss this publicly.

There was no disrespect written or implied in my comment above. Toby expressed confusion about the information posted elsewhere on the site and the information posted by me. I know that some forum participants are under the mistaken impression that I work for this site. I wanted to make that clear to Toby so he would not think I was contradicting myself or a Forum associate.

I am sorry that you misinterpreted my post as being disrespectful rather than explanatory.

Will
by margaret e. pell on October 29, 2005 07:38 AM
Try butterworts for fruit flies! I'm not into 'chemical solutions' and I find butterworts eat enough adult fungus gnats and my one white fly invasion to keep them at my and my plants' tolerance level. They'll probably work for fruit flies, too.

-

by tobydude7 on October 30, 2005 05:07 AM
Will, Jiffy, Margaret,

I want to thank everyone of you for your responses. I think everyone has helped me in solving this problem with my VF-trap. Margaret, I will check out the website. Jiffy, I have transplanted the trap to a pure sphagnum moss soil. One of the things that I noticed is that I was probably watering the plant too much because the old soil was soaked. I have read from older posts that over watering leads to root rot. I have now put the pot on top of a tray with pebbles in it and the bottom of the pot just touching the water surface. Anyway, I'll let you know all if the sequel continues with "return of the trap".

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flutterbys| Next thread: fly traps traps are all shut »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: