The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Wisteria Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: wisteria going mad!!!!!| Next thread: Witchazel Jelena »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on April 02, 2005 04:52 AM
We were looking for another vine for our fence by our deck for privacy. It has a western exposure. We have a trumpet vine that is a couple yrs old but it has yet to bloom.
Any thoughts on the wisteria vine? [thinker] I have heard it gets very large and has a large trunk.
Thanks for the help! [wayey]
Greg [gabby] [angel]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Jiffymouse on April 02, 2005 03:53 PM
don't know how wisteria will do for you whre you are, but around here, they are very strong vines, and can actually be pruned (with patience) into a "bush" type shape. very nice, i'll have to see if i can get a picture today, as they are already in bloom here.

one thing to remember about wisteria though, it is like ivy in that it will kill, warp, or distort what ever it is climbing on in southern climates. again, i can't speak to how it will do for you up north.
by rozy221 on April 03, 2005 09:06 AM
Wisteria is a beautifully-flowering vine, but you MUST prune it frequently, or it WILL take over. I wish I had a pic of the old wisteria trellis I had here when we bought the house-very old, VERY big-15' wide x 40'long on a trellis that just couldn't support it any longer because the trunk was so massive. A nightmare to get rid of, let me tell you. Anywho...it travels underground, quite a distance (I've got it popping up about 30 feet from where it was), and it also roots along the vine, and each root WILL produce more shoots. Then you've got the pods, which, I believe, if you let them drop, will reseed, to make even MORE vines. I'm in zone 6, and, if left unpruned, it WILL get massive and just take over. Other than that....very pretty flowers! What type of fence is it? Wood, it would probably "root" to, chain link could be cool cuz it could run through it.
by TheGardenerGuy on April 03, 2005 05:24 PM
Hi.... [wayey]
Its a wooden trellis fence...We mainly need it for privacy...From the posts tho its sounds like we better stay clear of this vine... [scaredy]
Any thoughts on other fast growing, hardy vines for Zone 5? [thinker]
Greg [gabby] [angel]
[lala]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wisteria going mad!!!!!| Next thread: Witchazel Jelena »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: