The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how to pick soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Myrna on February 02, 2006 12:05 PM
i will be needing to repot a few of my plants but I am unsure of what type of soil to use for them. I have the following plants
1.spider plant
2.golden pothos
3.bird's nest
4.shcefflara plant
5 purple waffle
6.prayer plant
7.song of india
8.janet craig dracaena
I bought some soil but some of my plants do not seem to be happy. [Frown] My golden pothos does not look well, it's leaves are curled and droopy looking. I only water it when it feels dry about 2 inches down. I started this one from cuttings, I ahve other cuttings that are doing much better than this one plant. [scaredy] I believe it's the soil( i have been buying cheap soil) So any advice on this would be great! [dunno]

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by margaret e. pell on February 03, 2006 03:46 AM
Nice lot of plants! I don't recognize the names for 3, 5, and 7. Do you know their scientific names? For soil, I always get a good quality general potting soil (NEVER one with added fertilizers) and mix in various things of my own; drainage material, grit, sand, leaf compost, pine needle compost, ..., whatever the particular plant wants. When I repot, I don't shake off all the old soil or break up the root ball, just a gentle shake to get rid of any loose bits without damaging the root ends. I wait about 3 days before watering in the new pot, so any broken ends have time to scab over and won't rot. I don't happen to grow pothos, so someone else will have to talk about its specific soil preferences.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Myrna on February 05, 2006 10:14 AM
thanks Margaret,
Number 3 is in the snake plant family it's a Sanseviera trifasciata 'Hahnii' the name for number 5 is a Hemigraphis 'Exotica', and number 7 is Pleomele reflexa this is in the Dracaena family
I guess I can find what type of soil each plant needs from online? I just know some of plants are not happy with the soil I have them in right now. They are not dying but not flourishing either. [dunno] I am not going to do anything to them yet because I just moved to a different apartment and I know they need time to adjust to this place ( not the greatest light will need more in door lighting) thank you for suggestions. [grin]

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Nittrox on February 06, 2006 06:41 AM
I just repotted a Yucca in a flowering soil....guess I made a mistake! [Frown] I didn't use much of the soil anyways. The root ball held a lot of soil. But I watered it right away coz of the wind that was kind of blowing away the soil.

So, is there something I need to take care of or remedy now?

Also, while watering another plant in a pot (I cannot identify it), I noticed all kinds of tiny bugs/insects hopping in and out of the soil. I read somewhere that it is just normal. Is there any reason I should be worried bt this??

Thanks for the help in advance...
[Smile]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: