The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How many flowers to plant Per Square Foot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Ronda on May 15, 2006 03:02 AM
Hi Again [wavey]
How do you determine how many flowers to plant per square feet? I found a calculator on the web,you could put in the square footage of you flower garden and it would tell you how many flowers to plant. I think it was on BHG, but for the life of me I cannot find it. [dunno]

So anyway, I need to determine how many flowers I need plant for a 21 sq ft flower bed. Can someone tell me how I can determine that? [thinker]

Thank you so much! [Cool]

Ronda

Ronda
by Jiffymouse on May 15, 2006 03:56 AM
ronda, the problem with those calculators is that it requires that the flowers all be the same kind, or at the very least, they same type. but a bed of just tulips will be very boring in august.

what i would do is draw a scale on graph paper,

say 6 blocks by 14 blocks with each block being half a foot, and then place color coded dots for each of the kinds of flowers you want in the bed. does that make sense? then you can see what you can plant over the top of, near, or around different plants.
by weezie13 on May 15, 2006 01:38 PM
Too add to what Jiff's saying is..

You need to know the kinds of flowers that each individual plant is...

Say for example a Hollyhock.. it's 6ft tall and can only be 1 to2 ft wide at the base of it..
and Hosta's can take up to almost a 5 or 6ft wide base and nothing in height...

So, what kinda [flower] flowers [flower] [critic] [flower] you planting [flower] ?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by joclyn on May 15, 2006 06:06 PM
it'll be much easier to answer your question if you tell us what it is that you want in your garden.
by Ronda on May 15, 2006 10:35 PM
Hi!

That is another problem, I really do not know. Flowers I can't kill! I have a black thumb, but I keep trying. I have been planting annuals, but this year I want to plant perennials. I have been looking at a lot of different flowers (different web sites) that meet my zone, are easy to grow, and does well in full sun. I was thinking about Carnations and/or Daylilies, and/or Primrose, Hardy English. I have been trying to find examples/pictures of flower beds(21 ft, rectangle, extends from my house to my sidewalk) on the web, because I do not know how to design a flower bed (which flowers to put where), but have not had any luck.

I would love to read any suggestions! [kissies]

Thank You! [clappy]

Have a good and DRY Monday! Rain, rain, rain! [perplexed]
Ronda

Ronda
by tkhooper on May 16, 2006 02:37 AM
Hi Ronda carnations are bienniel which means they only live for 2 years. The first year they are all foliage and the second year they bloom and reseed so you would need to direct sow two years running in order to get a good clump going that would continue through the years. I found transplanting them to be really difficult. Of the package of seeds I planted last year I have one plant that survived. So I'm not very happy with them. I'm zone 7 and have a heavy clay content in my garden area. Amending the soil I'm sure would have improved my result.

Daylilies are great but do have a short bloom time so you would probably need to get a variety in order to have something blooming at all times.

I think primroses are going to require more shade than your spot has to offer.

Here are some suggestions for along a side walk. First of all I would keep the flowers relatively short so they don't interfer with anyone using the path.

Ophiopogon p. 'Nigrescens' (Mondo Grass, Black)

This has a max height of 6 inches and has a nice contrast between the dark foliage and the pink flowers You could put these right near the walkway and then plant slightly taller flowers that bloom at different times of the year behind it. For example the next row might be one of these.

Agapanthus 'Africanus' (Lily-of-the-Nile) or
Agapanthus 'Snow Pixie' (Lily-of-the-Nile)

These are both shorter types of Lily of the nile the first is a lovely blue and the second a white depending on the colors you want you could use one or the other or even both in the next row since they get between 12 and 24 inches in height.

behind that if you have the room you may want to try for some of the ornamental onions. I just love these but you may like something with more of a bushy shape and there are certainly a number of options in that area too. I have some of the burgandy colored barberry in one of my containers that is really a nice plant and the thorns can keep people on the path if that is a problem. It also comes in a light green that is nice.

Or I've had really good luck with the miniature roses as long as I plant them outside as soon as I get them.

Now about spacing lol. When you research a plant you can find the plant spacing requirements for that plant. Then for me it's just a matter of starting at one end and measuring from the center of one plant to the center of the next. Knowing that as they slower growing plants get larger I can always move them. Which I will definitely be doing next year with my roses. I have four of them that are red and right now I have them together to form one clump. But next year I hope to have added enough other colors to my collection that I'll be separating them out to make a multicolored row of miniature roses. They are great flowers.

-
 -
by Ronda on May 16, 2006 06:39 AM
Thank You very much for your response and help. I will look into those plants!

Thanks Again!
Ronda [clappy]

Ronda
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 09:45 AM
crocus, grape hyacinth and daffodils - are early bloomers.

tulips - some early bloomers as well as mid-spring bloomers

bearded iris do terrific in full sun - and they multiply nicely so you only need a few to start off with. there are multiple varieties with different bloom times. has nice foilage that is there before and after blooming.

the daylily also has nice foilage before and after blooming. there are also differnt bloom times depending on variety.

tigerlily is another nice bloomer - not so great on the foilage tho.
rose bushes do well. some peony need full sun.

lilac - it's a spreader so it would be good for a corner somewhere. butterfly bush - can get big but is easy enough to prune to keep it to managable size.

coneflower and daisy are good - lots of nice foilage. coneflower blooms mid summer. not sure about the shasta as i just planted them [Smile]

there are some geranium that are perennial.

what zone are you in?
by Ronda on May 16, 2006 10:16 AM
Joclyn,
Hi I am in zone 5 and my flower garden will be in full sun. Thank you for your advice. [clappy]

Ronda

PS. How about planting plastic flowers? [Big Grin]

I have a feeling I will never be able to make up my mind. [Confused]

Ronda
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 11:28 AM
lilac is another good plant for sun. and so is yucca.

iris, coneflower and lilac don't care if they're neglected or treated badly...

so, if you plant them, it won't matter a bit if you have a black thumb AND you won't need to plant plastic stuff! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: