The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seedlings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Seedlings| Next thread: seedlings with holes »
Back to Thread index
by sam314 on March 31, 2005 10:37 PM
I have recently planted some seeds in preparation for spring planting [Wink] There are nastertiums, holly hocks and english daisies coming up. I have them under grow lights and they seem to be streching a lot. Are they supposed to do that? Is it because of the direct light? They are about 2 ft from the light, should they be closer? Any info would be much appreciated.

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by tkhooper on April 01, 2005 12:59 AM
From what i've read here they can be as close as 12 inches from the grow light, because it is a cool light. And over fertilizing can cause some things to be leggy.

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 01, 2005 08:54 AM
Even closer than that TK! When my seedlings are first coming up, I have them only 2 inches from the lights!

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on April 01, 2005 01:19 PM
Wow,

2 inches? You can tell I use natural light I guess. I'm really lucky to have really large windows with 7 inch ledges that are South facing.

-
 -
by sam314 on April 02, 2005 08:01 PM
The nasturtiums are the ones I was most worried about. I asked my boss and he said they tend to do that for a few weeks, then take off like nothing else. I guess I didn't realize they could be that close. I just potted them up so they are three to a pot. Thanks!

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seedlings| Next thread: seedlings with holes »
Back to Thread index