The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

growing passion flowers indoors?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: growing onions| Next thread: growing plants under pines »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on October 16, 2005 08:13 AM
Anyone grow passion flower vines indoors during winter? I was given a small cutting in a plastic cup last May, and I planted it in a small windowbox on my deck railing. The vine is probably about 8 feet long, but never flowered. I was cleaning out the annual vines that were in the pot with it, and transplanted the passion flower to a much larger pot and put it on its own trellis. Brought it indoors and placed it by a western exposure sliding glass door - no room for it anywhere else.

Do you think it will survive? [dunno] I don't care if it flowers now, but really really would like it to survive til it can go outside again next spring... [Cool]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Jiffymouse on October 16, 2005 08:36 AM
i haven't tried it, but let us know how it goes, ok? i'd be interested!!
by Cricket on October 16, 2005 10:31 AM
Lynne,

I will also be trying to overwinter a passiflora indoors for the first time this year, one that finally germinated in September from seeds sowed in spring.

A suggestion is to provide as much light as possible and perhaps prune it back. Maybe we can learn together by comparing notes and suggestions as the winter progresses? Best of luck! [muggs]

Cricket
by mhuff on October 16, 2005 11:26 AM
I actually overwinter my passion flower indoors, and it does just fine....I even get a few flowers in January and February. I just put it near a window on the same side of my house as I have it when it's outside. Good Luck!!
by plants 'n pots on October 16, 2005 10:19 PM
Thanks all! I was just wondering... does this vine branch out of you cut off the main tip? It's just growing out the main stem very long, and I'd like to see it a little bushier...

-
 -
by mhuff on October 17, 2005 01:42 AM
I haven't even cut the tip off, and I have about five branches off the main vine, near the base of the plant that have started just since I brought it in!
by Will Creed on October 17, 2005 04:31 AM
Passiflora caerulea, in general, needs lots of very bright light with at least a few hours of direct sun every day. Protect it from hot midday summer sun, but otherwise provide as much direct sun as possible. Inadequate light is the most common reason for lack of flowers.

Passifloras do best in cool temps in the 55 to 65 degree range with good air circulation. Warmer temps and still air encourage spider mite infestations.

To flower, Passiflora also needs a winter rest period. From October to April reduce the watering, allowing the soil to dry down about an inch from the top before watering thoroughly, stop fertilizing, and keep it in a cool spot. If you keep your Passiflora outside in the warmer months, it can stay outside as long as the temps stay above freezing; just be sue that you reduce the waterings in the cooler weather.

In April, prune back old growth by about one-third. Every 3 to 4 years it is best to cut back the entire plant to height of about 6 to 10 inches. In April, start watering whenever the surface of the soil feels dry and resume fertilizing at half-strength monthly.

Repotting tends to discourage flowering so keep your Passiflora potbound; repot only when it is so potbound that the rootball dries out within a day or two of a thorough watering. Be alert for spider mites, aphids and white fly.

I hope that isn't too much information!
by plants 'n pots on October 17, 2005 08:33 PM
quote:
I hope that isn't too much information!
Are you kidding me?!? Never too much info from you, Will!
Thanks so much for the great details about this plant! [kissies] [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
by mrs. rhonda grant on October 19, 2005 08:48 AM
thank you that was really great info. i've been thinking of getting a cutting. they grow wild around the town that i live in. a beautiful bush (vine)right down the road.
qu?: i've heard that the flowers are poisonous?
truth or fiction?
thanks, rhonda grant

GOD, please bless our plants and flowers. Let our new cuttings thrive. In JESUS name, AMEN.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: growing onions| Next thread: growing plants under pines »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: