The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Gardener's ?sss

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Holly Stewart on May 13, 2006 09:26 AM
What perinneals can I start from seed that do well?
I bought 2 butterfly bushes from Lowes that were only a $1. So I also racked up on a few things. They are looking pretty shabby kind of like they need water, but I have watered them. Can anyone help.
Also what can you do to keep dogs out of the garden?
Thanks for any help.

Holly
by The Plant Doc on May 13, 2006 10:10 AM
You can pretty much start any perennial from seed, though some of them make take a season or 2 to begin blooming.
A lot of the time when transplanting the plant will experience some degree of shock. Make sure that they don't totally dry out, and mix a little bone meal around the base of each plant. This will help encourage new root growth. Resist the temptation and do not fertilize until the plants have been in the ground for at least a month. [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by tkhooper on May 14, 2006 12:57 AM
Hi Holly,

As a new gardener there are some questions you need to ask your self before you begin selecting plants. One is weather your garden is in the sun or shade or partially shady. This is very important to the types of plants you get. Also you need to get a pH test for the soil. This can be done through your local university extension office. That way you know what kind of amendments you'll need to make to the soil based on what you want to plant.

You will also probably want to add some compost to the soil you have in place and till it in if you haven't done that already.

Now about perennials they do come back year after year but most don't have as long as a bloom time as annuals do so you may actually want some annuals in with your perennials so you have blooms most of the time. But that's just a suggestion. Unfortunately I can't really help you with perennials from seed I bought all of my from plants. Not that there are all that many to begin with. I have mums,roses, gladiolus, crocuses, ornamental onions, dusty millers and daffodils in the sun and and columbine, peonies, and hostas in the shade that are perennial.

roses take about 4 months to sprout from seeds from what I understand I haven't tried it yet. Mums I tried to winter sow last year without success. Glads come from a bulb as do crocuses, daffodils, and ornamental onions. Dusty millers I tried from seeds inside; but again, I didn't have any success so I bought a six pack of the starter plants for a very reasonable price instead.

Columbine can be sown from seed and will even self seed from what I understand but it needs to be done in the fall because they want a chill period when they are germinating.

Peonies and hostas both start from rhysomes [roots] and the peonies take several years to mature to the point where they will bloom but they last around 75 years so I figure they are well worth the wait.

I wish I could have been of more help. Enjoy your new gardening experience.

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 15, 2006 02:31 PM
Afraid I can't really help you with the plant types. BUT...I can help you with Dogs and cats in your garden. This might sound mean, but it's safe for your plants, the environment and...even the animals. What you do is this...if you have roses or know someone who does, tell them you want their clippings when they prune the plants. Scatter these (or pine cones) in your flower beds. Animals might go in once, but only once! It won't "harm" them, but it will change the behavior of going into your gardens and digging...they don't like the "pricklies" on their little paws. **This was the only way I could keep my cat out of our gardens**

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: