The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Poor little plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Poor drainage..| Next thread: Poor Man's Fried Rice »
Back to Thread index
by Amber Petersen on October 14, 2005 09:51 PM
I'm almost ashamed to put this picture on here. Someone gave me a very bad looking plant he was going to be throwing out. I though I'd give it a chance cos the stems were still very green. I pruned it WAY back, and it actually showing some growth. I was hoping I could get an ID (the guy didn't know what it was himself) and if anyone can manage to ID from the little bit of growth it has, does anyone know how to take care of it. It seems to be really sensitive, and it could be my imagination but evertime I seem to touch a leaf, it falls of with about 2 days...It's a stange thing, could be my imagination too though....
 -

-
Amber
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 01:04 AM
looks like a begonia to me!
by tkhooper on October 15, 2005 09:30 AM
I think so too. But I'm a beginner so what do I know. I think they like a lot of sun but check to make sure cause I make a lot of mistakes.

-
 -
by Will Creed on October 17, 2005 05:45 AM
Hi Amber,

It looks like your Begonia has weakened roots from previous lack of good care. Sometimes plants with seriously compromised roots will hang in there for a long time before eventually dying. Sometimes they will gradually reestablish themselves and the plant will respond accordingly.

Make sure your Begonia gets lots of sun. Be very careful about the watering because there is little margin for error with those roots. Remember to keep the soil drier than normal because the roots are not using much water.

It looks like there may be some fungus near the base of a couple of the stems, although that may just be light reflecting in the photo. Begonias are very susceptible to fungus.
by Amber Petersen on October 19, 2005 10:39 PM
I think your right...it does look a bit 'fungusie' What can I do about that?

-
Amber
by Will Creed on October 20, 2005 05:46 AM
I might be the wrong person to ask. A couple of weeks ago one of my client's Begonias had powdery mildew (a fungus) on several leaves and stems. I sprayed the plant with a fungicide and the entire plant was shot a week later! [dunno]

Try spraying it with a solution of baking soda and water. Lightly spray the surface of the soil, as well. Keep the soil as dry as possible. Provide as much light as possible. And provide good air circulation (a fan), if possible. All of those will help deter fungus growth.

Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Poor drainage..| Next thread: Poor Man's Fried Rice »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: