The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Set decoration request via e-mail

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Serviceberry Tree| Next thread: Several pumpkins ripe already »
Back to Thread index
by Bill on May 21, 2004 11:06 PM
I am working on a movie that is set in 1607 about the Jamestown
settlement. I am trying to locate a source of antique varieties of corn
that would have been grown in the Virginia tide water by the Native
Americans circa 1607. We have found seeds but I would like to find corn
still on the cob for fir set dressing and props. Our plantings will not
be ripe in time for us to use on the set. I need quite a lot, two or
three thousand cobs of bothe flint and dented types. If anyone out
there can help please contact me at: jerickson@saltspring.com.

Thanks,

Jim Erickson
Set Decorator
"The New World"
by Jon on May 26, 2004 02:08 PM
Bill (or Jim [Wink] )

This Apache thanks you for not using the "I" word.

Wish I had some of that corn to help you out.

Good luck on the project and keep us abreast of its development.

Jon
by Phil and Laura on May 26, 2004 02:58 PM
Good Point Jon, this Cherokee should have commented!
by Jon on May 27, 2004 10:24 AM
Phil or Laura (not sure which one posted [Wink] ) good to meet you!!!!

Nothing drives me up a wall like the "I" word.

One time, standing in chow line, two young troops were talking behind me. They were discussing their heritage. One said "I am I....". The other said "You don't look I..." After a bit, I finally turned around. I took one look at the one kid and then to the other - I said, "look at his eyes, look at his cheekbones. What do you think Native Americans are supposed to look like?" To the other kid, I asked what tribe and then instructed him - - "your ancestors did not come from India ...."

Personally - I simply prefer American or tribal affiliation.

Jon
by Norvona on May 29, 2004 07:18 PM
Well said, Jon!!! [clappy]
My paternal grandmother was Cherokee and my grandfather, Choctaw. From my mother I got the Irish/Scot, hence the red hair!
Cherokee/Choctaw/Irish/Scot but100%American
Norvona [thumb]
by Phil and Laura on May 30, 2004 12:31 AM
It Was I ,Phil, Jon [wayey]
by Jon on June 01, 2004 01:24 PM
Hi Phil - - Norvona

Norvona - I can identify with you. Actually - there is more than Apache - but the Apache is very identifiable and tracable. It is on my mother's mother's side. But on that side also is Anglo blood - with a land grant in 1700 to Benjamin Wise - for land in VA/WVA. We have a county there named after part of the family. After the big war - the family lost pretty heavily and migrated to AZ - where the Apache came into that family.

On Dad's mom's side - is a bit of Blackfoot and Comanche. That got mixed in with the Watt family that had migrated from Scotland - great-granddad came as a missionary after graduating from school in Scotland. Still - the Apache is the tribe that I most identify with - but then it is the most tracable and verifiable, just not registered on the tribal roles - as the connection to the Anglo blood provided for not having to move to OK from AZ to the reservation in OK.

- - - - -

The "funny" thing. When I was in Korea - and married my first wife (Korean) all the Koreans would ask her where I was from. She would say "He's American." They would reply "no he's not, he doesn't look American." She would then share my ancestry - and they would say - that's why he don't have round eyes. I had a blond, blue-eyed, female soldier who worked for me. 50% NA blood from a Northern CA tribe - even grew up on the reservation. The Koreans all identified her as NA - while most GI's refused to believe that she was NA.

Jon

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Serviceberry Tree| Next thread: Several pumpkins ripe already »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: