The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

MORE plants that I could use ID of

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: More Photos| Next thread: More Pricklies »
Back to Thread index
by Amber Petersen on October 14, 2005 01:12 AM
[lala] Here I am getting more answers....but if I don't ask what these plants are...they how do I know how to take care of them? [dunno]
If anyone can help I'd LOVE IT!
 -  -

-
Amber
by plants 'n pots on October 14, 2005 01:46 AM
Hi Amber ~

The first one looks to me to be a very old african violet? Have you had it a long time? I had one just like that, that was my great aunts and it lived for about 36 years before dying after my mom insisted that I bring it to my house instead of leaving it where it was happy in her's... They really like an east facing window and do not like to be wet.

The second is a very happy looking dracaena. I also have a few of these, and have taken huge cuttings from them and started new plants. They are fine in low light and kept just slightly moist.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Amber Petersen on October 14, 2005 03:52 AM
Actually I was just given the 1st plant. I have another African Voilet that looks nothing like it, so I wasn't sure...And I love the Dracaena...I wasn't sure of it's name though.
Thanks a BUNCH for your help.

-
Amber
by Cricket on October 14, 2005 07:06 AM
The second plant looks like a Dieffenbachia.
by plants 'n pots on October 14, 2005 10:57 AM
You're soooooo right, Cricket! [kissies]

My mistake - oh, well... I knew it was one of the "D" plants! [Embarrassed] [dunno] [nutz]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 14, 2005 11:05 AM
quote:
I knew it was one of the "D" plants!
Well...I have one of those, and didn't know it was even a "D" plant!
(I need to learn the names of all my plants and MARK them so I don't forget what they are!)

Well...they are alive...I guess that counts for something. [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Amber Petersen on October 14, 2005 09:39 PM
So, um...do you guys think the first one is an afrian violet...it just looks so different from my other one?? [Confused]

-
Amber
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 01:00 AM
there is a ruffle leaved african violet, and many times when one get older, the leaves get frilly.
by plants 'n pots on October 15, 2005 03:46 AM
Although I made a mistake with the second one, I'm pretty sure about the african violet.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 05:25 AM
lynne, some draceanas have leaves like that diffenbachia. there was a discussion in mystery about one that looked like a chinese evergreen.
by Will Creed on October 17, 2005 05:55 AM
I am quite sure it is an African violet.

Cindy - How your plants look is more important than what you call them!

Jiffy - If I correctly recall that plant ID in Mystery that you referred to, I believe it was incorrectly identified as a Dieffenbachia when in fact it was an Aglaonema as Gardencrazy pointed out.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: More Photos| Next thread: More Pricklies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: