The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

plant arrangement

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Plant area in new house| Next thread: Plant Disaster! »
Back to Thread index
by Jim The Bad Seed on May 09, 2004 09:18 AM
hello there green thumbers my simple problem is this.....new garden only 10x10 and i want to put in tomatoes, green peppers, some kind of onions, green beans on a pole i saw that before an ther were lots of beans perfect for small erea, cucumbers and maybe some others that i cant think of at the moment or if i even have enough space for those i dont can so i really dont need alot of veggies sittin around anyone have a favorite names to offer and a diagram for the right arangement i'll post weekly pics of my crap garden if i dont get any help he he
by Jiffymouse on May 09, 2004 04:44 PM
[wayey] hi jim [wayey] welcome the garden helper. I have a solution for you! i have 5 gallon buckets with holes in the bottoms for 1 each, zuchinni, tomato, wax bean, cucumber, watermelon, green pepper, yellow squash, and cantelope. i didn't get my onions or potatoes out this year, got side tracked and now it is too late down here. the onions i would actually put in the ground, and from what i hear, potatoes can be grown in a stack of tires or a trash can.
by ms8miranda on June 05, 2004 01:19 AM
About how many holes do you put in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail?

Would 1 bucket be considered 1 hill of canteloupe?
by papito on June 06, 2004 03:24 PM
I do a lot of container gardening because of limited yard space. Depending on the size of the container I usually drill between 1 to 3 (1-inch diameter) holes at the bottom of a plastic or wood pots for drainage.

For plant arrangements, position the beds or container plants north to south, so that the plants get the sun as it moves from east to west. Taller plants or those that will be supported by trellises or stakes should be planted/positioned at the northside. Jim, you could make two 4ft. x 10ft. beds on either side of a 2ft. x 10ft. central walkway on that 10ft. x 10ft. garden.

Example. left side
4ft. x 4ft. area for tomatoes.
2ft. x 4ft. area for eggplants.
2ft. x 4ft. area for peppers
2ft. x 4ft. area for *.
----------
total: 10ft. x4ft.

Example. right side
4ft. x 4ft. area for beans.
2ft. x 4ft. area for*
2ft. x 4ft. area for*
2ft. x 4ft. area for*
-----------
total: 10ft. x 4ft.

*=your choice of summer/short season vegetables.

With a limited space, stay away from corn, melons and some squash bcause they take up a lot of space.

As you said, you don't need a lot of vegetables. In that case you might want to consider flowering plants (such as Dahlias, Marigolds, Daylily, etc.) mingled with the vegetables.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by weezie13 on June 06, 2004 09:00 PM
And companion planting is great...

Like Corn is a heavy feeder, and peas need it cool
and something to climb, Peas add nitrogen to the soil and corn needs alot of that to grow, perfect companions...
Radishes are quick growers too, so plant some of those inbetween the rows of corn and utilize the space between the plants.

Another idea I just found was in a post I posted earlier, cattle panels to construct 'hoop houses'
If you see the picture, she's taken a cattle panel and tipped each end into the ground, so, you could then plant things like green beans, cucumbers, squashes up the panel and something that likes it shorter and cooler under there at the ends, like lettuce... and something a bit taller under it that could grow until the other plants grow in, such as maybe carrots or onions???
(Not too sure)

Also, if you get yourself some little bamboo sticks you can also grow peas up those, and have something like squash on the outter sides..??

We had a conversation here about Interplanting
***Rick had some good pointers on his post too****

Does that help a bit???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on June 10, 2004 10:12 PM
Hey Jim~The Bad Seed,
Any luck with your garden planning???

Just curious!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plant area in new house| Next thread: Plant Disaster! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: