The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Okra?? What do you do with it and grow it?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: okie breakfast| Next thread: Old aloe »
Back to Thread index
by weezie13 on May 05, 2004 05:26 PM
Okra?? What do you do with it and grow it?

My mother wanted Okra to grow this year...
There were a ba~zillion seeds in the package,
said to plant 5" apart.....

Now, If I plant one plant will it produce a ba~zillion fruits on it (like I plant 6 Jalapeno plants, and get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I needed)
I planted 16 Okra plants???? [nutz]
and more are still in the package????

What will that come out in prodcut????? [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

And whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat do I do with it??? [critic]

Maybe you can answer it here, or I'll post a post about Okra recipes in the Recipe Section and put a link back to here...???
(I'm off to help my mom right now, be back!)

Weezie

And can they grow in pots if I were to give them to the senior center for them to have on their patio's?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on May 05, 2004 05:33 PM
Oh, man...now I have to go buy some okra to cook tonight!
I love that stuff. A lot of people don't like it because it's SLIMEY. I'll be looking up some of my okra recipes. I have some good ones.
I grew it once a long time ago, but don't remember how much I planted or how much I ended up with.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on May 05, 2004 07:38 PM
Cindy,
Whaddya mean
quote:
SLIMEY
???? [shocked]

I've only eaten okra in Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup, I think!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this should be very interesting! [shocked]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on May 05, 2004 09:16 PM
Well, I mean SLIMEY!

One of my favorite cooks, Bert Greene, says
quote:
Okra changes as it is cooked. From being extremely crisp and firm-textured in it's raw state, it becomes thick, gooey, and almost mucilaginous after a long stint in the saucepan.
(That word "mucilaginous" is enough to make ME sick, and I like okra!)

Okra is technically not a vegetable. It's the edible pod of the Hibiscus esculentus.
Never cook it in iron, copper or brass utensils, or it will turn a grayish hue. Harmless, but looks awful. You'll just have to cook some fresh okra to appreciate what I'm calling "SLIMEY"!!!

-
 -
 -
by spring chicken on May 06, 2004 01:28 AM
During the summer okra is a daily side dish to our meal. Cut into 1/2" rounds and dredged into flour/corn meal and fried until outside is crisp.
The pods will start out under the flower and continue to grow. We harvest/cut our okra at about 3-4" long. Any longer than that and they become tough and stringy. Cutting it usually every morning as they start to produce and we get about 4-5 pods per plant daily, seems like a lot but it does cook down when fried. It's also good stewed with tomatoes [grin]
16 plants will produce a good bit for small family and fresh cut can be stored in your fridge, salad crisper for a few days. Okra can also be frozen.
I'm sitting here looking out my window at my okra.......I can't wait!!! [grin]

quote:
Never cook it in iron, copper or brass utensils, or it will turn a grayish hue. Harmless, but looks awful. You'll just have to cook some fresh okra to appreciate what I'm calling "SLIMEY"!!!

All we ever use is cast iron and never get the grayish hue [flower]
by afgreyparrot on May 06, 2004 02:55 AM
I always use cast iron, too, and never had it turn blue. Bert Greene must be using some new, improved iron!

Man, I LOVE okra!

-
 -
 -
by spring chicken on May 06, 2004 03:33 AM
quote:
Bert Greene must be using some new, improved iron!

Must have been...lol
Yeah okra is a favorite with me..that and crook neck squash [grin]
by weezie13 on May 06, 2004 04:43 AM
Okay you two, give me some growing tips!!!
What do you two do to the soil?????????? [critic] [critic]
Fess up!!!

And can it grow in a pot???
(If I were to give some to the senior center)

Just wondering!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on May 06, 2004 05:16 AM
The spring chicken will have to give you the growing info. I guess my old age is showing when I can't remember much about growing it, but can sure remember eating it! (Selective memory?)

And don't get me started on SQUASH!
My God...okra and squash!
Heaven on earth!

-
 -
 -
by duckie on May 06, 2004 06:23 AM
Hey Weezie,growin okra is easy.I [Love] [Love] it so much I plant it every year,even tho I'm the only one in my family that has the um,um,um good taste to enjoy it.It has beautiful blooms,I think it is part of the hibiscus family.Which brings to mind something my Grandpa taught me as a child.Bees are very good ,I'll bet you know that [wayey]
Okra needs to be checked/cut everyday.Just do it first thing in the morning or at dusk and the bees will not be active.
It is so so yummy [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 06, 2004 06:41 AM
Duckie,
Thanks for the info....
I personally LOVE [Cool] Bees'!! [thumb] [flower] [clappy]

My oldest has a knack of getting bit but
I will keep him right away from there.
Glad you alerted me to that!!!
I am also now looking forward to seeing the flowers!!!
I love Hibiscus's!!! I have several!

What's the reason you have to cut them every day??
No slackin' on the pickin'?????????

I'm now hopin' the senior's like okra!!
I will be sending lot's to them, we love sending
the tomatoes, so I'm glad to hear it's a prolific producer.....

Are all of you going to go to the recipe section
and put some OKRA RECIPES???

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by duckie on May 06, 2004 07:08 AM
[Love] [Love] [Love] You're way cool chickie.I was thinking I would post a topic about giving away all the extra veggies I always plant.The first place I always take my veggies to is the seniors' home. [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 06, 2004 07:26 AM
Duckie,
My mom deliver's for the M~o~W's program, and
her and my father always had a huge garden and canned and froze everything.....but those days are gone..... buttttttttttt,
Now we love to garden and she takes the goodie
bag with her when she deliver's *especially to
this one complex that has something like 30 residents, and she says on the days that she delivers, they are out there waiting for her,
(well, their lunches too) but they all get to talking about their gardens they had and what they grew and trade growing secrets and my mom
get's the biggest kick out of it, and makes her feel good, she can't take care of them but at least for a short period of time they can have a fresh from the garden tomato or zucchini, and (now okra) and some good memories.
And now with my greenhouse I can start a whole bunch at nary a cost to us, and SO MUCH JOY and fun...(we like to grow several varieties of tomatoes and can't choose which one to stop growing, so we don't, and just give away the extra.)

Plus we end up giving alot away to the volunteer's that deliver for M~o~W's.....
(hey, it's always nice to get a goodie or two when
you take the time to volunteer) [angel] [thumb]

I am after my husband to make a little stand for my boys to "hauk" some fresh veggie's on the side walk, my oldest loves to yell, "Fresh Zucchini, Get your frest Zucchini here!!" It is so cute.
And good business experience....
(I end up giving aloooooooot to the neighbors too, but hey if he makes a couple of quarter's he's exstatic!!!)

Anyways, I would love to have a few more gardener's do the same, adopt a senior resident or just one senior neighbor and drop off some extra veggies'!!!

Would do wonder's for sooo many.....

Thanks for letting me yak about it!!!
Always a GOOD CAUSE, heck, we all might be
in a place like that, someday.
(welllllll, many, many, many days from now!!)

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on May 06, 2004 07:29 AM
Duckie,
I think that would be great if you put in
a post in the Gardener's Chat (or Fruits and
Vegetables) section?????? About giving away
your veggies from the garden!!!

AWESOME TOPIC!!! [thumb] [angel] [kissies] [muggs]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by duckie on May 06, 2004 07:56 AM
Well said,Weezie.Many kids,mine too,don't see their grandma's for months at a time.It has been so enriching for my girls and me to visit seniors' homes.They have so much wisdom and information to share.
But again,you,you,please post a topic about what we should all do with our extras.Your good,I can't type worth a cowpie. [kissies]

-
 -
by duckie on May 06, 2004 08:29 AM
[Love] [Love] Just wanted to add my grandpa.Everytime I go into my garden I think of him.He was always so patient with me.I want to be a good teacher too.

-
 -
by Phil and Laura on May 06, 2004 03:06 PM
Ok, OKRA, I know! I see you live in N.Y. so wait till a week after your last frost date,okra seeds do not germinate well in cool soils, .Sow seeds 1 inch deep in hills 12 to 24 inches apart. wait till they are up about 3-4 inches and then thin all but the one strongest plant per hill. The seeds may be soaked, wrapped in moist paper toweling or in water overnight, to Speed-up germination.The pods should be picked (usually cut) while they are tender and immature (2 to 3 inches long for most varieties). They must be picked often—at least every other day. Okra plants have short hairs that may irritate bare skin.Make clean cuts that do not harm the rest of the plant. When the stem is difficult to cut, the pod is probably too old to use. The large overmature pods should be removed and composted. [teacher] Geez, sometimes I gotta do the M.G. Gig! [Smile] Now for some interesting facts:
Gumbo is Swahili for okra.
Okra was brought to the new world by African slaves
Has a beautiful (hibiscus) Flower [grin]
Now I could leave this be it...BUT I posted a fave Okra recipe , So Check it out [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by spring chicken on May 06, 2004 04:51 PM
quote:
The large overmature pods should be removed and composted.
Yup and be sure to save a few and let them dry for next years crop. Have always had great luck with okra.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: okie breakfast| Next thread: Old aloe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: