The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Garden in Old Play Area

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Garden Bed| Next thread: New garden pics! »
Back to Thread index
by Janet R. on April 29, 2004 10:59 PM
Hi!

The people who previously owned our house had a play area in the yard, and we've excavated it somewhat, this is what we have: a 25' x 25' area edged in wood (the wood sticks up about two inches above the ground); the area is filled with crushed stone, and underneath that is a liner, almost like a pond liner, with sand underneath. I'm new at this, so here we go---

Broad question:
1) If you had this situation and wanted to put in a vegetable garden, what would you do (step by step)?

Specific questions:
1) The wood is like railroad ties, not visibly coated with creosote; but I've heard that these wooden edgings could be pressure-treated and possible have arsenic in them. We don't want anything leaching into our vegetables...should we test them? get rid of them??? I'm not especially interested in making raised beds.

2) Can we leave the sand (I have some vague idea that it might be good for drainage) and put soil on top of it? How deep? What kind of soil? (I told you I was new at this!!!)

Thanks!

~ Janet
by Barb H. on April 30, 2004 12:43 AM
Janet,

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am sure someone will be along shortly with very good answers to your questions.

I would be concerned about the arsenic factor...i'd get rid of them. As for the sand...i think you're right...it's good to mix in some sand...just depends how much is there....is it very sandy?

What are your plans for the garden? Is it going to be a strictly vegtable, or a mix?

Again, welcome to forum! There are so many nice people here..you will have a lot of fun hanging out here.

-
by Janet R. on April 30, 2004 05:56 PM
It was builder's sand they put down, about an inch or two.

I want to put in all vegetables.

Thanks!

~ Janet
by Barb H. on May 03, 2004 04:09 PM
Janet,

I'm a newbie at gardening myself, but what I would do is amend the soil with topsoil, peat moss...compost, etc. to give it a good mixture.

It sounds like a big project for your first garden...but a fun one! I've been at this house for a year..first year took a lot of hard work removing brush, etc. This year I am working on the front of the house, since it's the side everyone sees. Next year I'll work on the back!

Whatever you do...enjoy the process and don't worry too much if you don't accomplish all you set out to do this season.

Barb

-
by Phil and Laura on May 03, 2004 05:04 PM
Hi, well here goes, First get rid of as much rock as you can, dispose of the liner, and GET THE WOOD OUTA THERE and for that matter the soil directly surrounding it, for the sand it would depend on how much is in the area, how many inches deep it is, tell me more [wayey] [Wink]
by Jon on May 04, 2004 05:20 PM
Depending on how much time you have for the project - - you might want to work in stages. Take part of it and start the garden and then with some stuff in, work on another section. Definitely get rid of the old wood if there is a chance of arsenic - - you may need to call your town/county disposal people for "toxic waste".

But - - having part of your garden already producing and looking good will provide the immediate pleasure and encouragement to do more.

But - - - - - - - watch out - you might get bit by the garden bug (smile)

Jon
by Janet R. on May 05, 2004 04:15 PM
Thanks for the input so far! As I mentioned above, it's probably an inch or two of builder's sand. Should I remove it, or just dump the soil and amendments on top of it? How far above ground level can I build up the bed? Thanks!

~ Janet
by Phil and Laura on May 07, 2004 03:47 PM
My approach would be to leave the sand(check first to make sure the neighborhood CATS haven't left any "surprises"!), if so dicard it, if not, till it in, then add your ammendments and till it all together, you can go here: Phunny Pharm Pix And check out my "raised" beds, been using them 4-ever! They are tilled 9 inches below the surface and built 12" above. [wayey] [wayey] [grin] [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Garden Bed| Next thread: New garden pics! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: