The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oleander Advice

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: oleander| Next thread: Oleander culture »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 09, 2006 10:25 AM
I have two Oleanders, that I purchased about four or five years ago. I know they are heat tolerant plants and can take a lot of sun, so I planted them on either side of my two bedroom windows.

So far these plants have not produced one flower. Any where else you go in town or even at the beach, you can see all kinds of Oleander Plants and they are huge, blooming and beautiful.

I was told to keep them cut back each season until they are established, so I did. They grow tall each season but they just will not bloom. Another thought is that I know that the ones seen in front of Buisnesses, they are never cut back and they look like trees, really thick and full and the blooms are just beautiful.

So why doesn't mine bloom and why aren't they getting as tall as others that I see. While the ones at the beach (Myrtle Beach) and other places never seem to be bothered by the cold weather, mine always turn brown once the cold weather gets here and they freeze. However, go some where else in town and you won't find one that is effected. I don't understand what I am doing wrong or what I am not doing at all. They grwo back every year, the green color is really pretty, but how can I get them to bloom and do they need to be cut back each season? They always turn brown once fall and winter gets here but as I said, I don't see anyone else's doing this. I want mine to be huge like they should be. I put them just off to the side of my windows to provide a little shade at my windows, but it looks like that will not happen for some reason.

Thanks
by flwrgrdnmom on May 09, 2006 10:31 AM
I say quit cutting them back for one thing, as you may be cutting off that coming year's blooms. I'd fertilize a little with an all purpose flowering-shrub fertilizer, and then leave it alone for a while. Hopefully that will help them out. Good luck!
by Deborah L. on May 09, 2006 10:40 AM
I agree, some plants just are better off left alone. Saph, you know that olenaders are poisonous, right?

-
 -
by sapphire on May 09, 2006 11:27 AM
Yes I know they are poisonous plants. We have no children in the house. No animals either except an inside cat. I never touch the plants without cleaning my hands thoroughly even though I wear garden gloves when I am doing anything concerning them. The plants are extremely poisonous though.

I have never thought about fertilizer though, they thrive so well on their own just about. However, I think I will refrain from cutting them back from now on. Maybe I will eventually get some blooms out of them. They are such pretty plants.

Thanks again.
by Deborah L. on May 09, 2006 11:41 AM
Good, Saph. I hope they bloom for you. Do you have the pink or the white ones?
We have them in public places here too, although not as many as we used to. I think it's because of the toxicity.
I liked the fragrance of oleander.

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on May 10, 2006 03:15 AM
Oleanders that are cut back as shaped hedges never bloom. Blooms come on when left alone. If size is a problem, you can get dwarf oleanders that grow 3-5 feet only.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: oleander| Next thread: Oleander culture »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: