The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

First Post, Started a potted flower/plant garden out back, need advice

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: First plants in the garden| Next thread: First Potato! »
Back to Thread index
by TheORKINMan on May 09, 2006 07:00 AM
Little background, I'm a fairly competant person when it comes to biology. Aquaria has been a hobby of mine for a while and I took all sorts of bio classes in college/high school. Just started getting into plants after my dad bought an Easter Lily last year, and I took the time to cut it down and make it grow back into several Easter Lily's this year. That decided to make me start up another hobby growing various plants that get my attention. So outback I've now got a ton of potted plants I'm growing from seeds + the grown Easter Lily already out there. Altogether I have:

Easter Lilies(Lilium longiflorum)
Canterbury Bells(Campanula medium)
Columbine(Aquilegia)
Mexican Sunflowers(Tithonia rotundifolia)
Morning Glories(Ipomoea purpurea)
Moonflowers(Ipomoea alba)
Forget-Me-Nots(Myosotis sylvatica)
Dwarf Morning Glories(Convolvulus)
Rain Lilies(Zephyranthes)

I used soil for seed growing, put in Dynamite plant food for flowers and following depth instructions for the seeds. Is there anything else I need to do to get these guys started off right aside from watering?

Also.... I wake up this morning and there are little white fuzzy caterpillars running all around(not a ton about 5). Are these something I should worry about getting rid of or will they be fine left alone.
by TheORKINMan on May 09, 2006 07:05 AM
Also I ordered a small rose bush and some Bird of Paradise seeds. These are obviously a little harder to start/care for then the others from what I understand.
by tkhooper on May 09, 2006 12:10 PM
If I remember correctly:

Canterbury bells like light to germinate.
Columbine need to a chill period to germinate so are usually sown outside in the fall or refrigerated after planting until they sprout.
Morning glories don't like any frost so you really want to wait about 2 weeks after your last average frost date to put them in the ground.
That's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

Your best bet would be to look up the websites fact sheets on each type of plant. That will give you really good information.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: First plants in the garden| Next thread: First Potato! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: