The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crab Apple Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: crab apple production| Next thread: CRAB GRASS »
Back to Thread index
by Chrissy on April 14, 2004 09:58 PM
My husband & I just moved this winter into a new home & there is a 15 foot apple tree on the property. My mom says they are crab apples. Can someone tell me what the heck crab apples are. Are they useful for food, or just decorative? Can they be eaten? Is it worth keeping the tree? We have a small lot & not much room for trees. I would love to plant a tree that I want, such as the Magnolia tree I have been growing in a pot indoors for the last year. But, I don't want to uproot a tree that I might wish I would have kept. Thanks for your input:)

-
 -
z5b
by obywan59 on April 14, 2004 10:41 PM
Crabapples are like apple trees with miniature fruits. They're mainly ornamental with flowers that can be white, pink or rose red. Fruits can be yellow, red, yellow-red or maroon. Occasionally the flowers are fragrant. The fruits are too tart to eat out of hand, but you can make jelly or jam out of them.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Chrissy on April 14, 2004 11:02 PM
Thanks so much Terry:) I guess I will keep her around then...have always wanted to try my hand at making jelly & jam [thumb]

-
 -
z5b
by weezie13 on April 15, 2004 04:42 AM
Chrissy,
I'm not sure about the eatin' part, but
my mom has a red one, and I think for the flower
it is a gorgeous flower... Not much later,
maybe bronze colored leaves in fall...
But what beautiful flowers so early in spring
and you can bring a nice bouquet of them in doors too.
I think my mom said the red's were fragrant!
I can't remember!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on April 15, 2004 08:59 AM
I think my mom just use an apple jam recipe and substituted crabapples, but here are some crabapple recipes I found online.
crabaple pickles (scroll down to the beginning of the Cs--bold type Cs)
crabapple jam
crabapple jam and other recipes

-
Terry

by obywan59 on April 15, 2004 09:00 AM
That last link should have read jelly not jam

-
Terry

by Jon on April 15, 2004 09:32 AM
the key with "eating" crabapples is to make sure they are fuly ripe. My fiancee tells me that she and her cousins and siblings used to eat the ones off her grandmother's trees all the time. Also, my cousins used to live in WA and would talk about eating crabapples - but I've never had one. So, now, I have a crapapple in the yard and the fruit is setting (put in the ground last year). I'm told that if it is not fully ripe it will be quite tart and it takes months to be fully ripe.

Chrissy - since my fiancee is originally from the Rockford, IL area - assumption is that if her grandmother's trees had the time to set and ripen - yours will also.

Jon
by Chrissy on April 15, 2004 03:34 PM
Thanks so much for all of this helpful information everyone:) Those recipes are great! I will try all of them. And if anyone does seed or plant trades with me this fall, don't be surpised if ya get a jar of Chrissy's Crabapple Jelly in your box [Wink] Thanks again, Chrissy

-
 -
z5b
by Chrissy on May 03, 2004 09:24 PM
I just want to thank everyone for telling me how nice crab apple trees look when they bloom & the many uses I may find for mine instead of chopping it down...it is in bloom now & it is gorgeous...look [grin]
 -
 -
I am SO glad I kept it!! Thanks you guys [kissies]

-
 -
z5b

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: crab apple production| Next thread: CRAB GRASS »
Back to Thread index