The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Speaking of reviving Peace Lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: speaking of goldfish plants| Next thread: speaking of rosemary »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on September 30, 2005 07:27 AM
Im a rescuer (and cheapskate). Can't help myself. I rescued a pretty large Peace Lily from wally world the other day, for less than $5! woohoo! Anyway, it needs TLC, but I dont know what specifically.

Peace Lily

Pic 1 Is that a flower shoot in the middle, or is that how new leaves grow?

Pic 2 Leaf burn or something? Should I just cut off the whole leaf at the base, or what?

Pic 3: My guess is that a grasshopper got hold of them in the garden center. Again, should I cut it off at the base, or just leave it?

My goal is a healthy plant - it doesn't have to be perfect, though I'd prefer it not become a 'charlie brown christmas tree' either

Pic 4: overall pic. Also airing my dirty laundry. It's all good, we're family, right? [Big Grin]

Thanks! [Wink]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 30, 2005 09:21 AM
ok, i looked at your pics, and this is what i would do.

first, i'd take it out of the pot (find a nice pot with good drainage about the same size) and shake the root ball, gently. the pot it up in the fresh pot with new potting soil. any thread like roots that are wound around the bottom of the pot can be snipped, so the roots can expand.

then, about every third day or so, snip, at the base, one of the damaged leaves. start with the one that is most damaged and/or brown.

as for the "sworl" in the center, it could be a leaf (most likely) or a bloom either one. the difference is the blooms usually come from the center of a leaf stalk, while the leaves have their own stalks. does that make sense?
by Will Creed on September 30, 2005 10:30 AM
Hi Mary,

Your peace lily looks like it is in pretty good shape. It is a Spathiphyllum 'Sensation.'

The lower leaves are a little droopy because it was allowed to get a bit wilted a few times and because of age. (Don't we all sag a bit with age?!)No reason to remove them until they start to yellow.

The discolored leaf in the second photo can be trimmed off at the base.

The damaged leaf on the right can be salvaged by trimming in such a way that the original contour of the leaf is restored. That leaf was damaged physically but it is healthy.

The pot size and soil, are fine. There is no reason to disturb the roots on an otherwise healthy plant. If you don't like the looks of the pot it's in, then put the pot and plant inside of a planter more to your liking.

Keep it near a north window. Fertilize it at half strength every month or two. Water it just before it is ready to wilt.

The 'Sensation' is one of the hardier varieties of peace lily and often their flowers have an unusually sweet odor - something to look forward to!
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 10:56 AM
Hey Mary,

Sounds like you really lucked out. And a north facing window again lucky you.
by MaryReboakly on September 30, 2005 11:56 AM
Hey thanks! Great advice here...

I do think it's a leaf then, because it's alone - I know you cant really tell from the pic (hey Im getting a new camera - hooray!) but it's not coming from a leaf - and yes, that made total sense Jiffy [Wink]

Will, I'm SO relieved that this is one of the hardier varieties - less chance of me killing it right away. I really want to do the houseplant thing...just never been very good at it!

If I were to pot this in a bigger pot, would that help it get...fuller? I know some plants seem to like lots of root room, while others dont, or something like that (how 'green' am I?! [Embarrassed] )

Yep T, No problem on the North exposure -- which was one of the deciding factors for bringing this baby home with me - I saw 'shade' and thought YES! [Wink]

-
 -
by Will Creed on October 01, 2005 03:56 AM
Hi Mary,

There is a common mis-perception that larger pots make for larger plants. That is true for plants that are severely potbound. For plants that are not badly rootbound, a larger pot often means more root growth at the expense of leaf and stem growth. A pot that is too large very often leads to root rot.

I can tell from the photo that yours is not severely rootbound so there is no need to repot at this time.
by Jiffymouse on October 01, 2005 05:52 AM
mary, i'm with will on this, i wouldn't repot at all, other than what i said about fresh soil. you want it to fill up the pot some so it will fill out.
by Cricket on October 01, 2005 06:32 AM
Why do you suggest replacing the soil, Jiffymouse?
by Jiffymouse on October 02, 2005 01:25 AM
two reasons, one, it is my experience, especially with walmart plants, that the soil isn't a rich as what i want in my houseplants. second, i often find the soil is compacted, particularly in the "marked down" plants. while i usually don't remove the soil from the roots completely, i will gently shake the root ball to have any loose soil fall. then, by gently adding new soil to a pot of the same size (unless severly root bound, or i am wanted to pot up for other reasons), i accomplish areating the soil (something that doesn't happen naturally in house plants, due to the fact we don't want the critters that do it for us outside to be in our homes) and a good feeding of my plant without it being an over feeding because i usually use miracle gro which has time release plant food mixed in the soil. confusing? or did i make sense for once?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: speaking of goldfish plants| Next thread: speaking of rosemary »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: