The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Airinating (sp)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Air potato vine| Next thread: Albino Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 07, 2006 12:36 PM
Does any one keep the soil around their outside plants loosened to give the plant fresh air? I just went outside and stirred up the soil around some of my plants just to help the fresh air get to them, thinking that would help their growth. Is this a myth or does this actually help the plant? I know it is good to do with African Violets, but I am not sure it is a rule of thumb for every plant. However I figured it could not hurt, natural air getting into the soil. Would appreciate feed back, thanks so much. [flower]
by alankhart on May 08, 2006 02:37 AM
Aerating the soil is actually a good idea because as you said it allows oxygen to get down to the roots. I usually aerate mine when I add compost..this way I get the compost into the soil and add oxygen too. You just want to make sure you don't damage the roots in the process.

-
 -
 -
by sapphire on May 08, 2006 03:31 AM
Thanks for the information, and also thanks for showing me how to spell that word, I knew I was going to get it incorrect, but I had hopes that some one would show me the correct spelling.

Thanks again so much [Embarrassed]
by weezie13 on May 08, 2006 03:46 AM
Worms do a great job of aerating the soil too....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on May 08, 2006 05:01 AM
So how do I do this without damaging the roots? I am very heavy handed and I have clay soil so it takes a bit of work to break it up. I knew I had to mix in compost when I made the beds but I should do this every year too? What about the perennials? Do I move them out and then put them back or what. And the peonies don't like to be disturbed what about them? They won't put up with a difference in soil height right? Oh dear you all have me concerned now that I'm abusing my flowers.

-
 -
by alankhart on May 08, 2006 09:32 AM
Don't worry..you aren't abusing your flowers. When you add compost to an existing perennial bed, only mix it in around the plants outside the root line. You can still put some compost over the plant (when it's dormant) and over the course of the year the worms and other organisms will work it down. If you have an annual bed you can mix in compost each year or two. If you have annuals mixed in with your perennials, just add compost to the new hole you plant your annuals in.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Air potato vine| Next thread: Albino Ivy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: