The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shriveled Leaves On Vegetable Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Shrimp and Grits| Next thread: shrub identification »
Back to Thread index
by Steph on April 04, 2004 06:21 PM
Hi Everyone...
I am new to this gardening thing, but I am enjoying every minute of it!! I just moved to Texas and we have planted a garden. All the plants were doing well until a few days ago. We noticed that some of our pepper and green bean plants have leaves starting to shrivel up..they almost look burnt by something. The only thing we have put on these plants is Sevin for the bugs and Miracle Grow for Vegetables. All the other plants (tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and onions) seem to be fine. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!!

Stephanie
by Jiffymouse on April 04, 2004 06:43 PM
[wayey] hi steph [wayey] welcome to the garden helper! i don't have your answer [nutz] but wanted to welcome you and let you know i am moving this to an area where it will get the attention of gardener's who do know. glad you found us [thumb]
by weezie13 on April 04, 2004 06:44 PM
Steph,
[wayey] [flower] Hi and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
How wonderful to be able to plant already!!!
We had snow last night, all over the place!!!
Lucky you!!!

I'm throwing out some questions here and maybe we can get to the bottom of it!!

#1. What time of day did you put on the Miracle Grow and or Sevin Dust stuff??

#2. Was the soil watered previously to your adding the mentioned items????

#3. What else have you grown that's not effected and did you do the same things to them as well???

#4. The leaf you said shiveled up, and or burnt looking....
A. What color are the leaves
B. Which way are the leaves curling? Up or Under?

Let us know and someone will be through to help some more.....

Weezie

P.S. I'm going to move your post into an area where basically alot of our gardeners go into, and your question maybe read a little sooner and answered for you!!!

Again, Welcome to The Garden Helper and hope to hear from you more often, we've got a great lil Cyber Community here and we have a little bit of everything here, from Master Gardeners to the brand new gardener, everyone's Welcome and where everyone can help everyone... I've always said, it only takes ONE gardener to answer a question and that one gardener may be YOU!!!
Thanks for joining!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on April 04, 2004 06:47 PM
Hey Jiffy, Great minds think alike!!! [kissies] [thumb] [wayey]
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Steph on April 05, 2004 04:55 PM
Hi Weezie & Jiffy....

Thanks so much for the welcome!! I wasn't sure how to reply to your questions, so I just posted a reply. Help me out if I am doing this wrong, k!! The answers to your questions are:
1.) I put the miracle grow on in the early morning, and the Sevin was put on at dusk.
2.) The miracle grow was mixed with water and the sevin is a powder you dust the plants with.
3.) We have also planted tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and lettuce. None of those are affected.
4.) The leaves are still green and they are shriveled downward.
I don't know if this info will help, but the soil here is basically clay. We turned the garden up, removed all the grass, added sand to the soil, mixed cow manure in and used top soil to actually plant in. Like I said..I am new at this, but my Husband was born and raised in Oklahoma and farmed all of his childhood with his parents. I'm sorry you haven't been able to plant yet..I'm really enjoying this. I just moved to Texas from Florida two months ago, and I never thought we'd get our garden in..it has rained here so much. Thanks again for your help!!

Stephanie
by weezie13 on April 06, 2004 05:10 AM
Okay Steph,
I found the previous posts!!
#1. Tomato leaves curling....HELP!!
#2. Update to "Tomato leaves curling....HELP"

Let me know if any of that info helps!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by papito on April 06, 2004 05:00 PM
In addition to Weezie's post (Nikkal's diagnosis), check the sites below. It might also help you identify the cause of the problem.

1. Aphids.

See info Aphids here

2. Beet Curly Top Geminivirus (BCTV).

See info on BCTV here

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Steph on April 06, 2004 10:37 PM
Hi Weezie & Papito...

Thanks for the links of previous posts and info!! The difference between the Tomato Leaves and my Pepper and Green Beans Leaves is only my new growth seems to be affected. And it seems like it was the last set of new growth for now. The newest growth seems to be fine at this point. The only other thing I can come up with is this...I was using a weed killer several feet(at least 15ft or more) spraying along the fence line. Maybe it's possible some of that traveled through the air??? I'm skeptical about this being the cause because it has not affected alot of our other plants. I'm keeping a careful watch over the ones affected daily...hoping they will pull out of whatever's going on. Thanks for your help!!

Stephanie
by weezie13 on April 07, 2004 12:37 AM
Steph,
The only other thing I could think of is...
The manure???
Too fresh may burn the plants
*it effects the leaves when to ripe or too much maybe is the word*
or if where you got the manure from put something in to it (like some put in wood chips), it that was the case, the wood is too much for a garden.
It has to completely render down or break down before is should be used... steals nitrogen from the plants to break down...

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shrimp and Grits| Next thread: shrub identification »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: