The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cantelopes?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: cantaloupe question. . .| Next thread: canteloupe and watermelon »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on February 21, 2004 04:37 AM
ok, the seeds i started for the cantelopes have made 3 nice new plants. what now?? [dunno] one of them has roots all sprouted out the sides, but it is still too soon to put them outside. help!
by shamarian on February 21, 2004 07:01 AM
Oh oh Jiffy mouse, how soon will you be able to plant them?Thats one of the tricks about starting from seed is timing it so they are just the right size to plant at the time you want to plant them.I've started too soon many times.I keep transplanting them into bigger pots if its just a matter of a week or two, but some plants transplant better than others.How big are they and how soon can they go in the ground?

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Phil and Laura on February 21, 2004 03:21 PM
Naughty, naughty Jiffy, [Big Grin] Yep, like Shamarion says, do you best from keeping them from getting rootbound, You'll be fine
by Jiffymouse on February 21, 2004 11:57 PM
oh, they aren't close to root bound. and I am planning to put them in a container anyway, i just can't remember how big a container to put them in [dunno] and can i put all three in the same one or do I need 3 containers?
by Rick on February 22, 2004 03:35 AM
How big and what type of container are they in now? Most melons and squash have spreading root systems with a much smaller tap root. If you can put it in a larger container, it will buy some time. How long til you're frost free? They will have a better chance in individual containers. In a pinch, you could use a large coffee can with the plastic lid becoming a new bottom. Cut the side of the can all the way down and tie it shut with wire or strong twine. Then when U put it out, just remove the bottom, cut the twine, and slide the can off the top. With care, you can move some big plants this way. I've also made square boxes out of scrap wood (not plywood or other glued wood products) with large gaps between the boards and on bottom, at least a couple inches worth, and wrapped the box with plastic. Then I peel off the plastic and plant the whole box, letting it rot.
Rick

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cantaloupe question. . .| Next thread: canteloupe and watermelon »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: