The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Raspberries and not the stick out your tongue type!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by steelwoolghandi on February 20, 2004 05:34 AM
[Razz]
I just bought some Raspberries plants (because I think they are so yummy)  - anyway I got 2 plants and one Blackberry plant. These are supposed to be hardy for the Texas weather and take the heat! I hope!!!(Drool).

I was wondering if there was any information, Tips or Tricks on care and feeding of them. Plus I have a lot of trees in my yard and I hear they don’t like shade so should I plant them in Direct sun or partial shade? Also if I plant the blackberries near the raspberries will they cross-pollinate? Should I separate them on separate sides of the yard (I have Two acres more plants less mowing)? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Steelwoolghandi

There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub.
by Danaus29 on February 20, 2004 05:02 PM
From what I understand they should be separated by about 200 feet. Mine are in full sun but I'm in Ohio so I can't say about Texas sun. They do grow well (and produce well too) in part shade in Ohio. Rabbit poop is the best fertilizer but any organic rose food will be okay.
by papito on February 20, 2004 05:55 PM
I only grow blueberries in containers, but here's what my Sunset book on "How To Grow Fruits, nuts & Berries" has to say about Brambleberries (blackberries & raspberries):

Blackberries are better adapted to broader range of weather than raspberries, especially to hotter climates.

They fare best in deep, rich well-drained sandy loam soil, pH 5.5 to 6.8 and full sun. Depth & drainage more important than soil texture at surface.

Susceptible to verticillium wilt. So, don't plant them where potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants,& peppers have grown within the previous 2 years or within 500 feet of older brambles.

Bears fruits in second year. Life span 5 to 30 years.

Watering: Better to underwater than to overwater because they are susceptible to root rot. In dry area, water weekly or less often allowing top 2 inches of soil has dried out (between watering).

Fertilizing: Manure or commercial type fertilizer specifically for berries. For younger plant use 5-10-5 (N-P-K), for older plants, 10-10-10 or 5-10-10. Follow label instructions for correct application.

Pollination: Self pollinating. So, probably you should not worry about cross pollination. But, you know what, I don't think the bees really care if you plant them closer or far apart, they'll find ways to visit both. Planting them away from each other will give each room to grow.

Pests & Diseases: Watch out for Aphids, borers, leaf and cane spot, mites, strawberry root weevil, root rots.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by shamarian on February 20, 2004 09:45 PM
I grow my raspberries along the south side of my house in full sun and they are my greatest joy.In the spring I compost around then and add that good as gold Rabbit poop like Danaus29. And then I string a soaker hose good thru them and then mulch them good with leaves bagged from the previous fall.Raspberries need support or their all hanging on the ground. I came across this tip by accident but I have done it ever since.We have many of those homemade tomato cages made out that heavy concrete reinforcement and so I stuck them in the ground all along my raspberrie row,leaving enough room to get in between each one to reach in for those really big berries.Well I've done it every year since and it sure beats keeping wire line and posts up to support all the weight.Its funny, the year I stuck them there I was short on time and could'nt get my posts and support wire in before they got out of hand and I stuck my cages there just temporarily and its been my best work saver and serves the purpose much better.Raspberries don't let you know that they are thirsty or dry, they dont droop, so keeping them well mulched and watered is very important,all thru the growing season.Good Luck Steelwoolghandi.

I am old, and repotting wont help!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: