The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

READY>>SET>>>>>>>

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: re-using soil| Next thread: Ready for Fall? »
Back to Thread index
by Phil and Laura on February 19, 2004 06:00 AM
The time we wait so impatiently for grows near. Here in Zone 4, it is still cold, and very snowy; however, it IS time to start several varieties that you start indoors. I have my onion seed planted, it is time to plant celery seed, and in a couple of weeks, all cole crops(cauliflower, broccolli,etc.) Must be started. A good light source is the most important element. A sunny window will work in some cases(and with some extra work); however, if you don't turn your seedlings often, they will become spindly. I gave up on this and have a whole arsenal of grow lights. I think for the low price of a few flourescent fixtures, versus a BIG investment in something Fancier, I would go with the flourescents, I have both, but that 1000 watter makes the electric meter spin like a gyroscope!! [Big Grin] So, check your local date of the last frost, and get to planninng, check with your local county extension, and get your local master gardeners earning there keep by answering your questions [wayey]
by shamarian on February 19, 2004 05:28 PM
Hi neighbors
I too start most of my own plants and I've grown lettuce under lights too, but only for the intention of transplanting outside to win the unofficial race in my family for the first lettuce ready to eat.I've keep my planting records somewhat up to date and I laught at the first year I started my own plants.I started almost everything the second week of February and I still am always biting the bullet to not start too soon. As you probably have found, many seeds grow either faster or slower than what they say on the packs depending on your conditions I'm sure.
For instance I wouldnt start Alysum maybe just 21/2 to 3 weeks before I'm ready for them outside.This year I bought Hosta seeds and Lottus seeds for my water garden off of Ebay and I'm sure I could be starting those Hosta seeds already.But one thing I know about myself is once I get all my lights set up, only physical force can hold me back from starting more than what I should.
I use a large, 4 shelf restraunt grade metal shelving that my husband picked up for free.And lots of shop lights,2 side by side hanging above each shelf.I dont have a fancy pulley system of anything to upper and lower them.I just hang them from chain links that I can adjust as they grow.
I always encourage every single gardener I know to try to start at least a few of their own
plants.Your choices are absolutely endless!!!!!
We all know how wonderful it is to step back at what you grow and gleem, well its triple magnified when YOU brought it to life from seed.
I'm almost starting to tear up now,so I'm a little dramatic,but I've learned that most gardeners are.

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Phil and Laura on February 20, 2004 12:19 AM
Why, bless your lil pea pickin' heart!! [Big Grin] , now unless you are as ancient as I, you will have no idea who's catch phrase that was, It's alright Shamarion, let it out [tears] I get emotional too. I have no fancy apparatus either, a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood, suspended on ratchet cargo straps(i move the plants) and the lights are hung with wire.Every plant I raise starts in the basement, unless I find something irresistable at a garden center. [Smile] Lettuce, well we are having salad...Sunday!!It is doing nice, about 4 inches tall and needs thinning, yeah I know, crazy [nutz] , but it keeps me from insanity while waiting for the snow to melt [wayey]
by Jillie on February 22, 2004 06:22 PM
[wayey] [wayey] [wayey]
I know, I know
[wayey] [wayey]
Tennessee Ernie Ford!!!!!!

-
 -
by shamarian on February 23, 2004 12:41 AM
Thanks Jillie I did'nt reconize it,Guess I'm too old!

by Phil and Laura on February 26, 2004 04:55 PM
Jillie, U R ...SO RIGHT!!! [thumb] Indeed it was T.Ford, and Neighbor, if you are too old to remember Tennesee Ernie Ford, just who in the heck is holding you up to type!!LOL, Geez, thought I was dating myself mentioning that catch phrase!! [gabby]
NEWS>>>LETTUCE>>>YUMMY!!!!!!
by shamarian on February 27, 2004 04:51 AM
Neighbor I thought of you guys eatin that lettuce when I bought a bunch of leaf lettuce this week. Not as good as yours I'm sure but came in a pretty close second. I think when Tennesse Ernie was out "pea picin people", I was out makein the REAL 70's show.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: re-using soil| Next thread: Ready for Fall? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: