The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

planting directly in hard wood mulch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 06:44 AM
I have some hard wood mulch around my trees its deep very deep, I wanted to see if any of you have ever planted directly in the mulch. If I go for dirt its gonna be too deep for the lil flowers. They are just annuals so I am not worried about them wintering.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on April 29, 2006 07:30 AM
Bury the pots as deep as you need to but leave them in the pots so the dirt rises to the occassion. [pun intended]. It's a thought anyway. If they weren't annuals I'd probably say pull some of the bark away from the planting area.

-
 -
by tamara on April 30, 2006 12:59 AM
I'd go for the pot idea also, just a question though. Why is your mulch so deep around your tree?

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by tkhooper on April 30, 2006 01:14 AM
Karrie you know you can't have the mulch up around the tree itself right? That causes some kind of problem and can kill the tree. You have to pull it away from the trunk if nowhere else. I wish I could remember exactly what it causes but I know it's bad. Almost as bad as my memory.

-
 -
by Karrie on April 30, 2006 06:28 AM
The guy we bought the house from filled it in with a ton of mulch. He is a landscaper. I did pull it away from the trunk. I knew that. Why he did that I am not quite sure. He was an odd sorta fella. It looks nice but man the mulch never ended. I think he just adds it every time instead of weeding the areas

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by alankhart on April 30, 2006 09:25 AM
Many landscapers use way too much mulch around trees. They often make a donut around the tree with 6 or more inches of mulch. It looks nice, but it's really not a good practice because water can't easily penetrate through the mulch into the ground where the roots need it. Perhaps you should remove some of the mulch and use it elsewhere. You probably shouldn't have more than 3 inches of mulch. This is usually enough to discourage weeds while allowing water to reach the roots, plus it should allow you to plant your annuals directly in the dirt. It isn't recommended to plant them in mulch because they won't get the necessary nutrients they need to thrive.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: